Understanding Force Statements: Solving a Confusing Homework Problem

In summary, the person is pushing an object with a force, but the object doesn't move when they stop pushing. The maximum coefficient of static friction between the object and the ground is greater than the force the person is pushing with.
vballkatie22

Homework Statement

A person is pushing an object of mass m along the ground with force F. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the object and the ground is (mu)k. The object is accelerating, but then the person stops pushing and the object slides to a halt. The person then starts push8ing again with a force F, but the object doesn't budge. The maximum coefficient of static friction between the object and the ground is ms. Which of the following statements is true?

Choices:
F > (mu)k/(mu)s
(mu)kmgsmg
(mu)smg=F
The scenario described is physically impossible.

Homework Equations

I read through this again and again and couldn't figure it out at all. I think the last one is possible but I am not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a thinking problem... no equation needed. I am finding the equation.

Thoughts? What do you think it is?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem hinges on the difference between static and kinetic friction.

I don't understand several of the choices. Have you copied them exactly as given?

OK, you might want to draw the free-body diagram for the object in the first case. You know that the object is moving with an acceleration, so there is a net horizontal force acting on the object. What does this tell you about the magnitudes of the forces acting on the object?

In the second case, the object is not moving. What does this tell you about the magnitudes of the forces acting on the object?

PS: you might want to type in the choices again. they are rather messy.

F>(mu)k/(mu)s
(mu)kmg<=(mu)smg
(mu)smg=F

This is exactly how they look. I am so confused on this one. Just so you know... this is one scenario not two.

You can eliminate one of the choices based simply on physical units. (i.e. one of the choices doesn't make sense in terms of physical units)

vballkatie22 said:
F>(mu)k/(mu)s
(mu)kmg<=(mu)smg
(mu)smg=F
OK, that's much clearer.

Hint: Compare F with kinetic friction (μk mg) when the object is moving. Then compare F with the maximum value of static friction (μs mg) when it's not moving.

When I say compare, I mean: Decide which is bigger.

How am I supposed to do that? This question is so confusing.

What is a force statement?

A force statement is a scientific statement about the interaction between two objects. It describes the direction and magnitude of the force acting on an object.

How is a force statement different from a force?

A force statement is a written or verbal description of a force, while a force is a physical quantity that can be measured. A force statement can describe multiple forces acting on an object, while a force is a specific action or influence.

Can force statements be confusing?

Yes, force statements can be confusing because they often involve complex mathematical equations and scientific terminology. It is important to have a solid understanding of basic physics concepts before attempting to interpret force statements.

What is the purpose of force statements?

Force statements are used to describe and predict the motion of objects. They are a fundamental part of understanding the laws of physics and how objects interact with each other.

How can I make sense of confusing force statements?

To better understand force statements, it is helpful to break them down into smaller, simpler parts. Start by identifying the objects and forces involved, and then use equations or diagrams to visualize the interaction. It may also be helpful to seek clarification from a teacher or reference materials.