How much math exactly is in Chemistry?

• Thread starter orgin21
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of math used in chemistry and the differences in math requirements between a chemistry and physics major. It is mentioned that chemistry mainly uses algebra with some calculus, but physical chemistry and quantum chemistry may require more advanced topics such as linear algebra and differential equations. It is also mentioned that having a strong background in math can be beneficial for success in chemistry. Ultimately, the amount of math required depends on one's specialization and interests within the field.
orgin21
Hello(first post!) guys, I was just wondering how much math is used in chemistry exactly. I have college coming up soon (just a few months) and I am vacillating between a chemistry or physics major. Both sciences interest me, but the main thing that keeps me away from chemistry is the amount of math they use. From what I see, it's mainly algebra dealing with conversions. I know in Physical Chemistry they move up to calculus, but what about the other branches? Does it get as in-depth as Physics does math wise?

Also, I was wondering about the job out looks for either of these majors. I read of something haunting choices picking a physics major over a chemistry major, so I was just wondering how true this is.

Physics news on Phys.org
The main choice is whether you want to understand quantum chemistry and statistical mechanics. If you want to achieve something in those areas, then you want a course in Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, and Probability & Statistics. Otherwise, you will only officially need and concern yourself with three semesters of Calculus (Calc 1, 2, 3), and an Introductory combined course of Differential Equations & Linear Algebra.

No matter what your choice is, Chemistry or Physics, or various interests in either of them, the guideline of, "The more Mathematics, the better", is still good.

I know 2 Chemists, one has a B.S., the other a B.A. They both worked at the same company and exact same job. The B.S. had to go all the way through Diffy Q's. The B.A. only did to Calc 2.

So pretty much I will be pretty satiated with the amount of math I will be doing in Chemistry right?

calculus is all you'll really see in conventional chemistry, and lots of algebra.

physical chemistry gets into deeper calculus, and quantum chemistry into linear algebra and DEs. but again, this is only if you specialize in those areas. if you want to do non-theoretical chemistry, you'll still need calculus.

There isn't very much, most chemistry departments only require calculus up until sequences, series, and basic differential equations. Though my advisor who also teaches the quantum mechanics course said that those students that took a first course in differential equations and linear algebra tended to do better. Strictly speaking they teach you the mathematical methods required to succeed, or should.

How much math exactly is in chemistry?

The exact answer is pi/sqrt(2).

1. How much math is required in chemistry?

Math is an essential part of chemistry and is used in almost every aspect of the subject. From calculating reaction rates to determining the concentration of a solution, math plays a crucial role in understanding and conducting experiments in chemistry.

2. What type of math is used in chemistry?

The type of math used in chemistry includes algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics. These branches of math are used to solve equations, analyze data, and make predictions in chemical reactions.

3. Do you need to be good at math to study chemistry?

While a strong foundation in math is helpful, it is not necessary to be a math genius to study chemistry. With practice and dedication, anyone can improve their math skills and succeed in chemistry.

4. How much of chemistry is math and how much is theory?

The amount of math and theory in chemistry can vary depending on the specific branch or topic being studied. Generally, chemistry is a balance between theory and math, with both playing important roles in understanding the behavior of matter and reactions.

5. Can I study chemistry without being good at math?

Having a basic understanding of math is important for studying chemistry, but being a math expert is not a requirement. With hard work and determination, anyone can learn and excel in chemistry, regardless of their math skills.