Solve Double Integration by Changing Order: Example

• Thread starter boneill3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: That's because when we integrate starting from the left x limit and going to the right limit we're integrating the exponential function, and when we integrate starting from the right x limit and going to the left limit we're integrating the logarithmic function. If we didn't change the order of integration, we would be integrating the logarithmic function first and then the exponential function.
boneill3

Homework Statement

Solve the double integration by changing the order of integration

Homework Equations

\int_{0}^{2} \int_{y/2}^{1} cos(x^2)dxdy

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been trying to sketch the graph with

y/2<= x <= 1

and

0 <= y <= 2

Is the problem trying to get the {y/2} in the limit of \int_{y/2}^{1} cos(x^2)dx to be the equivalent value of x ?

I'm not if my graph that I sketched should be a triangle from the origin out to x= 1 y=2

or should it be a curve from (0,1) to (1,cos(1^2))

regards
Brendan

Physics news on Phys.org
if x= y/2, y = 2x

I see that you have made the integral.

into

\int_{0}^{2} \int_{2x}^{1} cos(x^2)dxdy

by solving y/2 for x = 2x.

Can you use the same rational for

\int_{1}^{3} \int_{0}^{ln(x)} x dydx

solving y = ln(x) for x therefore x = e^(y()

than the integral would be:

int_{1}^{3} \int_{0}^{e^(y)} x dydx

regards
Brendan

I see that you have made the integral.

into

\int_{0}^{2} \int_{2x}^{1} cos(x^2)dxdy

This is incorrect. When solving for y in y/2 = x (y=2x) It is necessary to sketch the curves so that you can see the boundaries clearly. It seems to me you have a triangle with boundaries y=2x, x=1, and y=0. If you solve for 'y' like that its necessary to change the order of integration and write new limits.

Now think about what you did when you exchanged y for x in your limits...when you try to integrate the function you can't...the whole reason why you change order in this case is so that you may perform the double integrals.

In the second case, it is again similar to the triangle but with the upper boundary ln{x}

I've sketched the graph of

And the boundaries are the:

x axis <= y <= ln(x)
1 <= x <=3

Is the integral now

\int_{x}^{ln(x)} \int_{1}^{3} x dxdy ?

regards

boneill3 said:
Is the integral now

\int_{x}^{ln(x)} \int_{1}^{3} x dxdy ?

You should restudy double integration. That double integral there makes no sense. Just a hint that allows you to know whether what you're doing is right or wrong, you should change the function in terms of your second integrating variable.

this double integral goes from the lower y limit to the upper, then from the left x limit to the right. In order to change that order you have to change the function y=ln{x} in terms of x...e^y = x

so when doing dxdy we start from dx and are going from the left limit to the right limit, as you see on your graph the limits now become \int_{e^y}^{3} dx and for dy its from lower to upper... \int_{0}^{ln(3)} dy

putting it all together \int_{0}^{ln(3)}\int_{e^y}^{3} x dxdy (note that I said before the function should be in terms of the second integrating variable...)

Thanks for your reply,

\int_{0}^{ln(3)}\int_{e^y}^{3} x dxdy

with the X limits \int_{e^y}^{3} when I graphed the original function those limits were 1 <= x <=3

Why do we change 1 to be e^y and not change 3

1. What is the purpose of solving double integration by changing order?

The purpose of solving double integration by changing order is to simplify the integration process and make it easier to calculate the integral. By changing the order of integration, it is possible to switch between the order of integration of the two variables, which can lead to a simpler expression and make it easier to find the solution.

2. How do you determine the new limits of integration when changing the order?

When changing the order of integration, the new limits of integration are determined by plotting the original limits on a graph and then identifying the new limits based on the new order of integration. This can also be done by setting up a double integral with the new order and solving for the limits of integration.

3. Can any double integral be solved by changing the order of integration?

No, not all double integrals can be solved by changing the order of integration. In order for this method to work, the integrand must be continuous and the limits of integration must be finite. If these conditions are not met, then it may not be possible to change the order of integration.

4. What are the advantages of using the changing order method for double integration?

The advantages of using the changing order method for double integration include simplifying the integration process, making it easier to find the solution, and potentially reducing the number of steps needed to solve the integral. It can also help in visualizing the integral and understanding the relationship between the two variables involved.

5. Are there any other methods for solving double integration?

Yes, there are other methods for solving double integration, such as using iterated integrals, using trigonometric substitutions, and using partial fraction decomposition. The method used will depend on the integrand and the limits of integration, and some methods may be more suitable for certain types of integrals than others.