Pulley and block system tension & acceleration

In summary, a 2kg hanging mass and 8kg tabled mass are connected by a massless string passing over a frictionless pulley with a mass of 6kg. The 2kg mass moves vertically and the 8kg mass moves on a horizontal frictionless surface. The moment of inertia of the pulley is 1/2MR^2, where the radius of the pulley is 0.1m. The tension on both masses will not be equal due to the pulley's mass and there will be a net force on the 8kg mass on the table. To find the tension on the string connected to the 2kg mass, one can derive their own formula using basic principles and Newton
heyrefusuck
For the following: 2kg. hanging mass and 8 kg. tabled mass are connected by a massless string passing over a frictionless pulley with a mass of 6kg. The 2kg. mass moves vertically and the 8kg. mass moves on a horizontal frictionless surface. The moment of I of the pulley is 1/2MR^2. The radius of the pulley is 0.1m

Q1. What is the accel. of the 8 kg. mass on the table. My answer was that since the pulley system is frictionless then the tension on both masses will be equal. Therefore there will be no resultant force causing an acceleration on the 8kg. mass on the table. Is that right?

Q2. What is the tension on the string connected to the 2kg. mass. Answer: The formula that I presume I use is T = (2m1m2 /m1 + m2) 9.8
Am I on the right track? What would be the final unit in the amount of tension?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
heyrefusuck said:
Q1. What is the accel. of the 8 kg. mass on the table. My answer was that since the pulley system is frictionless then the tension on both masses will be equal. Therefore there will be no resultant force causing an acceleration on the 8kg. mass on the table. Is that right?
No.
(1) The tension is not the same throughout the string, since the pulley has mass.
(2) Even if the tension was equal on each mass, that would not imply no net force on the 8 kg mass. (What other horizontal forces act on that mass?)

Q2. What is the tension on the string connected to the 2kg. mass. Answer: The formula that I presume I use is T = (2m1m2 /m1 + m2) 9.8
Rather than use some canned formula, derive your own starting with basic principles. Analyze the forces on the two masses and the pulley and apply Newton's 2nd law to each. You'll end up with three equations and three unknowns.
Am I on the right track? What would be the final unit in the amount of tension?
Tension, like any other force, will have units of Newtons.

A1. Your answer is correct. In a frictionless system, the tension in the string will be equal on both sides of the pulley. Therefore, there will be no net force acting on the 8kg mass, and it will not experience any acceleration.

A2. Your formula for calculating tension is correct. The final unit for tension will be Newtons (N), which is the unit for force. This is because tension is a force acting in the string connecting the 2kg mass to the pulley.

1. What is a pulley and block system?

A pulley and block system is a simple machine that is used to lift or move heavy objects. It consists of one or more pulleys attached to a fixed object, such as a ceiling or wall, and a rope or cable that runs through the pulleys. The object to be lifted is attached to one end of the rope, while the other end is pulled by a force.

2. How does tension affect a pulley and block system?

Tension is the force that is transmitted through a rope or cable when it is pulled taut. In a pulley and block system, the tension in the rope is equal at all points. This means that the force applied to one end of the rope is distributed evenly throughout the system, allowing for efficient lifting or movement of objects.

3. What is the relationship between tension and acceleration in a pulley and block system?

In a pulley and block system, the tension in the rope is directly related to the acceleration of the object being lifted. As the tension in the rope increases, the acceleration of the object also increases. This is because the force applied to one end of the rope is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.

4. How do you calculate the tension in a pulley and block system?

The tension in a pulley and block system can be calculated using the equation T = m * a, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object being lifted, and a is the acceleration of the object. This equation assumes that the system is frictionless and neglects the weight of the rope.

5. What factors can affect the tension and acceleration in a pulley and block system?

The tension and acceleration in a pulley and block system can be affected by several factors, such as the number of pulleys, the angle of the rope, and the mass of the object being lifted. Friction in the pulleys or rope can also affect the tension and acceleration, as well as the weight of the rope itself.