Surface Integral of Vector Fields

In summary, the surface integral of F over S is ∫∫D F*(r_u x r_v)dA, where F(x,y,z) = y i + x j + z^2 k, S is the helicoid with vector equation r(u,v) = ucos(v)i + usin(v)j + v k, and u ranges from 0 to 3 and v ranges from 0 to 3π. The final integral to be evaluated is ∫∫S u*(sin(v)^2-cos(v)^2)dvdu.
drecklia
Evaluate the surface integral ∫∫S F · dS for the given vector field F and the oriented surface S. In other words, find the flux of F across S. For closed surfaces, use the positive (outward) orientation.
F(x, y, z) = y i + x j + z^2 k
S is the helicoid (with upward orientation) with vector equation r(u, v) = ucos(v)i + usin(v)j + v k, 0 ≤ u ≤ 3, 0 ≤ v ≤ 3π.

∫∫S f*dS=∫∫D F*(r_u x r_v)dA

i got int[0,3] and int[0,3pi] usin(v)^2-ucos(v)^2+uv^2dvdu
i do not know how to integrate this(yeah, shame on me) and i don't know if this integral is correct

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks ok to me. What's stopping you from doing it? First integrate dv and then the result du. No special tricks needed. Though you could simplify u*(sin(v)^2-cos(v)^2).

What is a surface integral of vector fields?

A surface integral of vector fields is a mathematical tool used to calculate the flux or flow of a vector field through a given surface. It considers both the magnitude and direction of the vector field at each point on the surface in order to determine the overall flow through the surface.

How is a surface integral of vector fields different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve, while a surface integral of vector fields calculates the flow through a surface. It takes into account the direction of the vector field, while a regular integral does not.

In what situations is a surface integral of vector fields useful?

Surface integrals of vector fields are useful in many areas of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. They can be used to calculate the flow of fluids, electric or magnetic fields, and heat through a given surface.

How is a surface integral of vector fields calculated?

A surface integral of vector fields is calculated by first defining a surface over which the integral will be calculated. This surface is then divided into small elements, and the flux through each element is calculated using the dot product of the vector field and the element's surface area. The sum of all these small fluxes gives the total flux through the surface, which is the value of the surface integral.

What are some real-world applications of surface integrals of vector fields?

Surface integrals of vector fields are commonly used in engineering and physics to calculate the flow of fluids through pipes and channels, the electric and magnetic fields around charged particles, and the heat transfer in various systems. They are also used in weather forecasting, oceanography, and aerodynamics to model and predict fluid flow patterns.