Evidence for stellar evolution since the Big Bang

In summary, the metallicity of stars does not differ significantly over time [redshift distance], which is seen as evidence for rapid evolution in the early universe. While our understanding of galactic and stellar evolution is still limited, advancements in technology, such as the James Webb telescope, will help expand our knowledge. The lack of correlation between distance and metal content also applies to heavier metals, such as iron. Despite the primitive understanding, there is evidence that distant galaxies are more evolved compared to their younger counterparts, and the cosmic microwave background is a strong piece of evidence against the steady state model of the universe.
hkyriazi
Is it generally true that the further away a galaxy is (and more red-shifted), the more it tends to contain lower metal content stars? I'd always assumed this was one of the main bits of evidence for the Big Bang, but I've also read that the globular clusters that surround (and are gravitationally bound to) large galaxies such as our own contain mostly "old" (primitive, 2nd generation?) stars. (I realize that these facts are not necessarily contradictory, but I'd like to know what the astronomy community thinks about it.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The metallicity of stars does not differ significantly over time [redshift distance]. This is widely viewed as evidence metallicity evolved very rapidly in the early universe. We also do not see population 1 stars in the universe for presumably the same reason. Our understanding of galactic [and stellar] evolution is still very primitive at present. Better instruments, like the James Webb telescope, will help.

Thanks for the reply, Chronos.

Is the lack of correlation with distance also true of heavier metals, such as iron?

More importantly, despite the primitiveness of our understanding of galactic evolution, is there good evidence that the galaxies further away are clearly more primitive in any sense? I'm simply wondering what galactic or stellar evidence there is against a steady state model of the universe, as opposed to the current Big Bang model.

Perhaps my thread should've been labeled "evidence for galaxy evolution...".

Unfortunately, distant galaxies are abnormally large and bright as a function of redshift distance. It stands to reason they are more evolved than their younger, invisible neighbors. The most significant evidence against steady state cosmology is the cosmic microwave background [CMB]. It is a stake in the heart.

What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is a scientific explanation for how the universe began and has evolved over time. It proposes that the universe began as a singularity, an infinitely small and dense point, and has been expanding and cooling over the course of billions of years.

What is stellar evolution?

Stellar evolution is the process by which a star changes over time. It begins with the formation of a star from a cloud of gas and dust, and continues as the star fuses hydrogen into helium and eventually other elements. The length and stages of a star's evolution are determined by its mass.

How do we gather evidence for stellar evolution?

Scientists use a variety of methods to gather evidence for stellar evolution, including observations of stars at different stages of their evolution, analysis of their spectra, and studies of the cosmic microwave background radiation left over from the Big Bang.

What is the role of nuclear fusion in stellar evolution?

Nuclear fusion is the process by which stars generate energy. It occurs in the core of a star, where the high temperatures and pressures allow hydrogen atoms to fuse into helium. This process sustains a star's energy output and is responsible for its evolution into more complex elements.

How have we observed evidence for stellar evolution since the Big Bang?

Through the use of telescopes and other instruments, scientists have observed the different stages of stellar evolution in various types of stars. They have also studied the chemical composition of stars and the distribution of elements in the universe, providing evidence for the evolution of stars since the Big Bang.