Polynomial with 3 unknown variables

In summary, the given equation has roots with a sum of 5/8 and a product of 3/32. To find the roots, we can use Viète's formulas which state that for a polynomial equation ax2+bx+c=0, the sum of the roots is -b/a and the product of the roots is c/a. This formula can be helpful in solving equations without needing to find the actual values of the roots. Additionally, you can use Wolfram Alpha to solve the equation and get a numerical solution.
Paulo Serrano

Homework Statement

(4m + 3n)x2 – 5nx + (m – 2) = 0

The sum of the roots is 5/8
The product of the roots is 3/32

What is M + N?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2agnpdt.jpg

This is the actual solution. I just don't understand it.

-----

Why is it that although it says the SUM is equal to 5/8 the solution above has has things being divided? How do I find the roots of this equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
For ax2+bx+c=0 (or x2+(b/a)x+c/a=0) if the roots are α and β, then x2+(b/a)x+c/a≡ (x-α)(x-β)

The right side works out to be x2-(α+β)x+ (αβ). So equating coefficients we get

α+β=-b/a and αβ=c/a

or the sum of the roots= -b/a
the product of the roots=c/a

If you want some further reading, you can have a look here. It's called http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vi%C3%A8te%27s_formulas" .

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that just a rule that I should memorize then? I couldn't really work this out using the actual numbers, could I?

Paulo Serrano said:
Is that just a rule that I should memorize then?

Yes, this formula is pretty well-known, and you should memorize it. It's not very hard to memorize, yes?

This formula comes very handy, when you need to work with the sum and/or product of the root of a polynomial, without the need to know what the roots are (since it's calculated based on the coefficients of the polynomial itself).

---------------------------

For example, you are ask to evaluate the sum of the 2 roots of the following equation:

x2 + x - 2 = 0

The first way is to find the 2 roots of this equation, which turn out to be -2, and 1. And take the sum: -2 + 1 = -1.

The second way is to apply the formula:
x1 + x2 = -b/a = -1/1 = -1.

I couldn't really work this out using the actual numbers, could I?

Err, I don't really get what you mean. What do you mean by 'actual numbers'?

If you don't like memorizing, think it out: If [itex]\alpha_1[/itex] and [itex]\alpha_2[/itex] are roots of [itex]x^2+ bx+ c= 0[/itex], then we must have [itex](x- \alpha_1)(x- \alpha_2)= x^2+ bx+ c= 0[/itex] for all x. Multiplying that first product, [itex]x^2- (\alpha_1+ \alpha_2)x+ \alpha_1\alpha_2)= x^2+ bx+ c[/itex] and, since that is true for all x, taking x= 0 gives [itex]\alpha-1\alpha_2= c[/itex] and then, taking x= 1, [itex]1^2- (\alpha_1+ \alpha_2)(1)+ c= 1^2+ b(1)+ c[/itex] so [itex]\alpha_1+ \alpha_2= -b[/itex].

VietDao29 said:
Yes, this formula is pretty well-known, and you should memorize it. It's not very hard to memorize, yes?

This formula comes very handy, when you need to work with the sum and/or product of the root of a polynomial, without the need to know what the roots are (since it's calculated based on the coefficients of the polynomial itself).

---------------------------

For example, you are ask to evaluate the sum of the 2 roots of the following equation:

x2 + x - 2 = 0

The first way is to find the 2 roots of this equation, which turn out to be -2, and 1. And take the sum: -2 + 1 = -1.

The second way is to apply the formula:
x1 + x2 = -b/a = -1/1 = -1.

Err, I don't really get what you mean. What do you mean by 'actual numbers'?

I meant that if I tried solve this without knowing those equations it would be near impossible...Anyway, thanks again guys. Learned a little more. :)

1. What is a polynomial with 3 unknown variables?

A polynomial with 3 unknown variables is an algebraic expression that contains three variables (usually represented by x, y, and z) and the coefficients of those variables. It can be written in the form of ax^2 + by^2 + cz^2 + dx^2 + ey^2 + fz + g, where a, b, c, d, e, f, and g are constants.

2. How do you solve a polynomial with 3 unknown variables?

To solve a polynomial with 3 unknown variables, you need to first simplify the expression by combining like terms and using the rules of exponents. Then, you can use techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to solve for the values of the variables.

3. What is the degree of a polynomial with 3 unknown variables?

The degree of a polynomial with 3 unknown variables is the highest power of the variables in the expression. In other words, it is the highest exponent in the polynomial. For example, in the polynomial 2x^2 + 3y^3 + z, the degree is 3.

4. Can a polynomial with 3 unknown variables have more than 3 terms?

Yes, a polynomial with 3 unknown variables can have more than 3 terms. The number of terms in a polynomial is determined by the number of variables and the degree of the polynomial. So, a polynomial with 3 unknown variables can have 4, 5, or even more terms.

5. How is a polynomial with 3 unknown variables used in real-life applications?

Polynomials with 3 unknown variables are used in various real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model real-world situations and make predictions. For example, a polynomial with 3 unknown variables can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile or to determine the optimal production level for a company.