Z Boson, Posiron-Electron Annihilation.

In summary, to find the minimum velocity of an electron and positron required to make a Z boson during annihilation, the particles need to be highly relativistic with a velocity of approximately the speed of light. This is necessary to create a real Z boson rather than a virtual one. The kinetic energy of the particles must add up to the rest energy of the Z boson, requiring a \gamma value of around 90 thousand. The final velocity can be approximated by v = c(1-1/2\gamma^2).
Matteus92
Suppose I want to find the minimum velocity of the electron and positron required to make a Z boson during annihilation. How would I go about this? I had an attempt which came out at 422ms^-1. This doesn't really seem right... so I'm guessing i made a big mistake...

Physics news on Phys.org
If Z-boson is much heavier than electron, then the initial particles should be highly relativistic: with v ≈ c (to create a real Z-boson, not virtual).

You need kinetic energy of the two ([tex]2 \gamma m_e c^2 [/tex]) to add up to rest energy of the Z boson. That gives you [tex]\gamma[/tex] around 90 thousand. Velocity [tex]v = c \sqrt{1-1/\gamma^2} \approx c(1-1/2\gamma^2)[/tex]

1. What is a Z Boson?

A Z Boson is a fundamental subatomic particle that is responsible for mediating the weak nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces in the universe. It has a mass of 91.19 GeV/c² and is electrically neutral.

2. What is Positron-Electron Annihilation?

Positron-Electron Annihilation is a process in which a positron (the antimatter counterpart of an electron) and an electron collide and produce two high-energy photons. This process is also known as pair annihilation.

3. How are Z Bosons and Positron-Electron Annihilation related?

Z Bosons are produced through the process of Positron-Electron Annihilation. When a positron and an electron collide, they can create a Z Boson, which then quickly decays into other particles.

4. What is the significance of studying Z Bosons and Positron-Electron Annihilation?

Studying Z Bosons and Positron-Electron Annihilation can help us understand the fundamental nature of matter and the forces that govern the universe. This research also has applications in fields such as particle physics, cosmology, and nuclear medicine.

5. How is Z Boson, Positron-Electron Annihilation studied?

Scientists study Z Boson and Positron-Electron Annihilation by using large particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. These accelerators collide particles at high speeds, allowing scientists to observe the resulting particles and their interactions.