Can Scientists Create Focused Beams of Subatomic Particles?

In summary, scientists are able to generate subatomic particle streams using accelerators, which pump large amounts of energy to produce various particles such as electrons, positrons, protons, antiprotons, neutrons, pions, muons, and neutrinos. However, it is not possible to create beams of quarks, gluons, or W and Z bosons due to their confinement inside hadrons or their high mass. Photons, which are also bosons, can be produced in beams at lower energies.
earamsey
What kind of subatomic particle streams are scientists able to generate and how do they do it?

I know that LHC is banging together proton-protons streams and protons are large bulky particles and interested in finer grained particles. I am like asking if they can emit quark, gluon, boson, type particles and if so how what is required to create these type of subatomic particle emitters?

So far, accelerators pumps hugh amounts of energy and they get all kinds of stuff out. I wanted to generate a pure coherent one type of subatomic particle and at much much lower energies. Electrons emitters have limited application.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Looks Humanino has posted an explanation for this in my topic "Can we see elementary particles?"

I think accelerator experiments have used beams of just about any particle that lives long enough to produce a useful beam before decaying. I know of experiments using beams of electrons, positrons, protons, antiprotons, neutrons, pions, muons and neutrinos.

When I was in grad school about thirty years ago, one of my friends worked on an experiment that used beams of various short-lived hyperons, specifically sigmas and xi's, I think. These are rather short-lived when at rest, but when they move fast enough, relativistic time dilation extends their lifetimes enough to produce usable beams a few meters long.

Quarks are confined inside hadrons (protons, neutrons, etc.) so we can't make beams of them. Similarly for gluons. Under conditions we can produce, I think gluons appear only as virtual particles in strong interactions. W and Z bosons are too massive and difficult to produce as "real" particles so we can't get enough of them to make a beam. Of course, photons are bosons and we make beams of them all the time. :smile:

1. What is a particle stream generator?

A particle stream generator is a scientific instrument that creates a focused beam of particles, such as electrons or ions, at high speeds. It is often used in research and industrial applications to study the properties and behavior of these particles.

2. How does a particle stream generator work?

A particle stream generator works by using an electric field to accelerate charged particles from a source, such as a gas or solid material. These particles are then focused into a beam and can be directed at a specific target or used for various experiments.

3. What are the applications of a particle stream generator?

Particle stream generators have a wide range of applications in various fields, including materials science, semiconductor manufacturing, and nuclear physics. They are also used in medical imaging and cancer treatment, as well as in the development of new technologies such as particle accelerators.

4. Can a particle stream generator be dangerous?

Yes, a particle stream generator can be dangerous if not properly handled. The high-energy particles produced by the generator can cause damage to living tissue and sensitive electronic equipment. It is important to follow safety protocols and use appropriate protective measures when working with a particle stream generator.

5. How is a particle stream generator different from a laser?

A particle stream generator and a laser are both types of beams used in scientific research, but they work in different ways. A particle stream generator produces a beam of particles, while a laser produces a beam of light. Additionally, a particle stream generator can be used to manipulate and control individual particles, while a laser is usually used for larger scale applications.