Reverse Product Rule: Understanding its Application in Integration

Thanks for your help!In summary, the conversation discusses using the reverse product rule for integration, where the teacher may have mistakenly used a instead of u and b instead of v' in the equation \int uv' = uv - \int vu'. The question also asks about the purpose of this and if it was done intentionally. The conversation also mentions integrating the expression a*b = e^-y /y and the importance of including the variable of integration.
brandy

Homework Statement

i'm sorry i know I've been bombarding physics forums with questions but i need help :p
using reverse product rule [tex]\int uv'[/tex] = uv - [tex]\int vu'[/tex]
and say i have a*b
i noticed my teaher said that a=u and b=v not v' and he simly made that into a v' by deriving.
is there a point to this if so what is the point and is this something he is likely to have done on purpose or by accident.

Homework Equations

...and yes a*b = e^-y /y

The Attempt at a Solution

i attempted, but failed miserably.

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the things you are NOT doing that you should is including the "dx" or "dt" or whatever the variable of integration is. The correct statement of "integration by parts", which is, as you say, the "reverse product rule", is [itex]\int udv= uv- \int vdu[/itex].

Now, I don't know what you mean by "say I have a*b". Do you mean you are trying to integrate [itex]\int a(x)b(x)dx[/itex]? In that case, you could try u= a, dv= bdx, then find du by differentiating and find v by integrating.

What is the reverse product rule?

The reverse product rule is a mathematical formula used to find the derivative of a function that is the product of two other functions. It is the opposite of the product rule, which is used to find the derivative of a product of two functions.

When is the reverse product rule used?

The reverse product rule is used when finding the derivative of a function that is the product of two other functions, and it is not possible to use the product rule directly. This often occurs when one or both of the functions cannot be easily differentiated.

How do you apply the reverse product rule?

To apply the reverse product rule, you must first identify the two functions that are being multiplied together. Then, you can use the formula: (f*g)' = f'g + fg' where f' represents the derivative of the first function and g' represents the derivative of the second function.

What is an example of using the reverse product rule?

An example of using the reverse product rule is finding the derivative of the function f(x) = x^2 * cos(x). Using the formula, we get: f'(x) = (2x*cos(x)) + (x^2*(-sin(x))), which simplifies to f'(x) = 2xcos(x) - x^2sin(x).

Why is the reverse product rule important in mathematics?

The reverse product rule is important in mathematics because it allows us to find the derivative of more complex functions that cannot be easily differentiated using basic rules. It is a valuable tool in calculus and is used in many real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.