Heat transfer equation (temperature difference)

In summary, the equation mc\DeltaT can be used to calculate the energy gained or lost by an object, with \DeltaT being either Tf - Ti or Ti - Tf depending on the specific condition. The example given shows that the initial and final temperatures can be reversed in the equation, but the resulting energy value will still be positive.
MechaMZ

Homework Statement

For the equation mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T, i suppose [tex]\Delta[/tex]T should be Tf - Ti.

However, at what condition we should let [tex]\Delta[/tex]T be Ti - Tf?

I did come across a question which requires [tex]\Delta[/tex]T be Ti - Tf for a heat lost by an object.

eg,
heat lost by copper = heat absorbed by beaker & water
mc(Ti - Tf) = mbeakercbeaker(Tf - Ti) + mwatercwater(Tf - Ti)

I think perhaps we need to let mc[tex]\Delta[/tex]T as a positive value since it just a magnitude? however, the value is not the same(pretty close) if i let it be Ti - Tf.

Need help, thanks =)

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone knows?

[itex]mc\Delta T=mc(T_f-T_i)[/itex] is always the energy gained. The energy lost by the copper was then [itex]-mc\Delta T[/itex], which is equivalent to the other expression.

however, for the example above, why the initial temp and final temp is reversed?

Because [itex]-mc(T_f-T_i)=mc(T_i-T_f)[/itex]. Is this what you mean?

so we should write heat lost by copper as negative since the heat is released out, but the result of [itex]-mc(T_f-T_i)[/itex] will still be positive right?

If you're saying that we should include the minus sign prefactor because we're considering the amount of energy leaving, but that the sign of [itex]-mc(T_f-T_i)[/itex] is positive because [itex]T_f<T_i[/itex], I agree.

1. What is the heat transfer equation and how is it used?

The heat transfer equation is a mathematical representation of the transfer of thermal energy between two objects with a temperature difference. It is used to calculate the rate of heat transfer and determine the final equilibrium temperature between the two objects.

2. What factors affect the temperature difference in the heat transfer equation?

The temperature difference in the heat transfer equation is affected by the thermal conductivity of the materials, the surface area of contact, and the distance between the two objects. Other factors such as the type of heat transfer (conduction, convection, or radiation) and the presence of insulation also play a role.

3. How does the heat transfer equation relate to the laws of thermodynamics?

The heat transfer equation is based on the first and second laws of thermodynamics, which state that energy cannot be created or destroyed, and that heat flows from hot to cold objects until thermal equilibrium is reached. The heat transfer equation helps us understand and quantify this flow of energy.

4. Can the heat transfer equation be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the heat transfer equation is used in various industries and applications, such as heating and cooling systems, cooking, and insulation design. It is also used in scientific research to study heat transfer in different materials and environments.

5. How can the heat transfer equation be manipulated to optimize heat transfer?

The heat transfer equation can be manipulated by adjusting the variables involved, such as increasing the temperature difference or increasing the surface area of contact. Additionally, using materials with higher thermal conductivity or adding insulation can improve the efficiency of heat transfer.