How Do You Calculate Sedimentation Coefficient for Escherichia coli?

• Thread starter quietviolence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coefficient
In summary, to find the values for \rho f and V o, you will need to use the given molecular weight and specific volume for Escherichia coli. To find \rho f, convert the specific volume to m3/kg and divide by the molecular weight. To find V o, use the specific volume and the density of the buffer solution, which can be found using its molarity and molar mass.
quietviolence

Homework Statement

Escherichia coli data:
molecular weight = 74000g/mol
specific volume = 0.737cm3/g
temperature = 293 K

In a dilute aqueous buffer (0.02M potassium phosphate) at 293.75 K
speed of rotation = 56050 rpm

gave the following results:

Time (min)...x1/2
120.... 6.5

Homework Equations

This is the equation given to us:

M=(RTs)/(D(1-([tex]\rho[/tex] f *V o))

The Attempt at a Solution

I used an R value of 8.31m2kgmol-1s-2K-1

I rearranged the equation to equal s

However, I got stuck at [tex]\rho[/tex]f*Vo. Using the [tex]\rho[/tex] and V given in the question results in a division by 0.

Could someone explain to me how I find [tex]\rho[/tex] f and V o? I don't need anyone to solve the question, I would like to do that on my own.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just need some guidance on how to find these values. Thank you!

Hi there! It looks like you're on the right track with your attempt at a solution. In order to find the values for \rho f and V o, you will need to use the given molecular weight and specific volume for Escherichia coli. These values represent the density and volume of the bacteria, respectively.

To find \rho f, you will need to convert the given specific volume from cm3/g to m3/kg. This can be done by dividing 0.737cm3/g by 1000 to get the volume in m3, and then dividing that by the molecular weight of Escherichia coli (74000g/mol) to get the volume per kg of bacteria.

To find V o, you will need to use the specific volume and the density of the buffer solution. The density of the buffer solution can be found using its molarity and the molar mass of potassium phosphate. Once you have the density, you can use it with the given specific volume to calculate the volume of the buffer solution per kg of bacteria.

I hope this helps! Keep going with your solution and let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!

1. What is the sedimentation coefficient?

The sedimentation coefficient is a measure of the rate at which a particle or molecule settles in a centrifugal field. It is typically expressed in units of svedberg (S) and is used to determine the size and shape of particles in a solution.

2. How is the sedimentation coefficient calculated?

The sedimentation coefficient can be calculated using the equation s = M/(6πηr), where s is the sedimentation coefficient, M is the molecular weight of the particle, η is the viscosity of the solution, and r is the radius of the particle.

3. What factors affect the sedimentation coefficient?

The sedimentation coefficient can be influenced by factors such as particle size, shape, density, and the viscosity of the solution. Additionally, the temperature and centrifugal force used in the experiment can also affect the sedimentation coefficient.

4. How is the sedimentation coefficient measured?

The sedimentation coefficient is measured using a technique called analytical ultracentrifugation, where a sample is placed in a centrifuge and spun at high speeds. The rate at which the particles settle is then measured and used to calculate the sedimentation coefficient.

5. What can the sedimentation coefficient tell us about a molecule or particle?

The sedimentation coefficient can provide information about the size, shape, and density of a molecule or particle in a solution. It can also be used to determine the purity and molecular weight of a sample, and can help in studying protein-protein interactions and other biomolecular interactions.