Solving DC Circuit Problems: Determining Current in 8[Ω] and 4[Ω] Resistors

Volts 9 VoltsIn summary, the problem involves finding the current in an 8 ohm resistor and a 4 ohm resistor in a series circuit with two batteries of 12V and 9V respectively. The approach is to use Ohm's law, E=IR, and to take the difference between the voltages of the batteries and multiply by the total resistance (11 ohms). The current in the 4 ohm resistor is where most of the current is drawn. However, there may be alternative ways to solve the problem.
Dx
a) I must determine the current in 8 [ome] resistor? Current in the 4[ome] ?

a) I started out using ohms law. E=IR, ok. I took the difference between the Voltages eg.12-9 = 3V then multiply by 11 ohms total resistance.

b) Did pretty much the same way except that 4 ohms is where most current is drawn.

What have I done wrong? how do attach my diagram in here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to tell what you did wrong when we don't know what you did. How about at least telling us exactly what the problem was? For one thing where did you get the "12 volts" and "9 volts" that suddenly appeared in your answer?

OK! I think I got it posted remember that the batteries are from neg to pos so according to kirchhoffs law I believe we add them together. I just don't know how to solve for these.

a) I must determine the current in 8 resistor? Current in the 4 ?

a) I started out using ohms law. E=IR, ok. I took the difference between the Voltages eg.12-9 = 3V then multiply by 11 ohms total resistance.

b) Did pretty much the same way except that 4 ohms is where most current is drawn.

Sorry took so long.
Dx :wink:

Attachments

• circuit.doc
    24 KB · Views: 186
Please post the question up and I can try it.
At the moment the problem doesn't have enough information.

Originally posted by Dx
how do attach my diagram in here?

When you make a post, look below the "Your Reply" and "Options" sections, and you'll see the "Attach File" section. You can either do it that way, or upload it to your personal webspace if you have one.

Anyways picuture this:

a 12V battery connected in series loop with 7 and 4 ohms, ok. Also a 9V battery is in this loop connected in series with a 8 and the same 4 ohm resistor. Now the battery connects both points in the same direction like so. neg to pos wire conected to battery neg to pos, follow me.

Dx

Attachments

• circuit.doc
    24 KB · Views: 201
Originally posted by Dx
OK! I think I got it posted

No, I still don't see it.

Originally posted by Dx
Anyways picuture this:

a 12V battery connected in series loop with 7 and 4 ohms, ok. Also a 9V battery is in this loop connected in series with a 8 and the same 4 ohm resistor. Now the battery connects both points in the same direction like so. neg to pos wire conected to battery neg to pos, follow me.

Dx

Can you picture this?

Originally posted by Dx
Can you picture this?

It sounds like everything is connected in series. Is that it?

Originally posted by Tom
It sounds like everything is connected in series. Is that it?

There's more than one way to skin a cat, Tom! Its like this!

Code:
   |--- 7 [ome]-------- 8 [ome]-------------| 
   |               |                 |
   |               4[ome]                |
   |       |       |          |      | 
   ------| |----------------| |------|
           |                  |

12 Volts            9 Volts

And I must find:

Hope this is better.

Originally posted by Dx
Code:
                   A
   |--- 7 [ome]--------*---8 [ome]-----------| 
   |   ----->      |  ----->         |
   |     I1      | |      I3         |
   |          I2 | 4[ome]                |
   |             | |                 |
   |       |     V |          |      | 
   ------| |----------------| |------|
           |                  |

12 Volts            9 Volts

OK, that's great. I've modified your drawing a little bit so that it includes current arrows and so that a node "A" is labeled.

I don't know why you did that, but you have to use Kirchhoff's laws here. You have 3 unknown currents (I1,I2, and I3), and you have to solve for them simultaneously.

Try this:

1. Write down Kirchhoff's current law for Node A.
2. Write down Kirchoff's voltage law for the left loop going clockwise.
3. Write down Kirchoff's voltage law for the right loop going clockwise.

Do that, and we'll go from there.

edit: fixed diagram

Last edited:
1) I_3 = I_1 + I_2
2) I_2 = I_3 - I_1
3) I_1 + I_3 - I_2

But I am having problems determining should I separate the loops to find the total resistance or what? I donno what to do really, I've read that section on this and the example makes not a whole lotta sense to me, please help me?

Originally posted by Dx
1) I_3 = I_1 + I_2
2) I_2 = I_3 - I_1
3) I_1 + I_3 - I_2

No, you got them all wrong. :frown:

Kirchoff's current law (KCL) states that the sum of currents at a node equals zero. Take currents entering the node to be positive and currents leaving the node to be negative.

Kirchoff's voltage law (KVL) states that the sum of voltage rises/drops around a closed loop is zero. For instance, going through a 12 V battery from the + to - terminal is a voltage drop of 12 V. Going through a 7Ω resistor against the direction of current I1 is a voltage rise of 7I1 V.

All this should have been explained to you in class and in the book. Try writing down the equations again, using those rules.

But I am having problems determining should I separate the loops to find the total resistance or what?

You do not need the total resistance at all. You need to learn how to use KVL.

Basically the laws state that the sum of the currents in all three resistors = 0. You know the value of the resistors and are given some voltages. Simple algebra should do it for you. Set an equation up involving everything you are given. One side of the equation will be 0. You will also need ohms law figured into your equation. I am not sure you have a handle on ohms law though DX, because in your first post you are talking about multiplying a resistance value by the voltage to get current. Do you see something wrong there? OHMS multiplied by AMPS gets you VOLTS.

NOT: OHMS multiplied by VOLTS gets you AMPS.

1. How do you determine the current in an 8[Ω] resistor in a DC circuit?

To determine the current in an 8[Ω] resistor, you need to use Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) equals voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, in this case, you would divide the voltage across the resistor by 8[Ω] to get the current in amperes (A).

2. What is the formula for calculating current in a DC circuit?

The formula for calculating current in a DC circuit is I = V/R, where I is the current in amperes, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

3. How do you determine the current in a 4[Ω] resistor in a DC circuit?

To determine the current in a 4[Ω] resistor, you would follow the same steps as determining the current in an 8[Ω] resistor. You would divide the voltage across the resistor by 4[Ω] to get the current in amperes (A).

4. What is the relationship between voltage and current in a DC circuit?

The relationship between voltage and current in a DC circuit is described by Ohm's Law, which states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

5. How do you solve DC circuit problems involving resistors in series and parallel?

To solve DC circuit problems involving resistors in series, you would add up the resistances of each resistor to get the total resistance, and then use Ohm's Law to calculate the current. For resistors in parallel, you would use a different formula to calculate the total resistance, and then use Ohm's Law to calculate the current. Once you have the current, you can use it to calculate other values in the circuit.