Preparing AlCl3 (Hexahydrate) 100ml

• Thread starter guyat35
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible to prepare Aluminum chloride (hexahydrate) solution(15%) from Aluminum chloride powder (ANHYDROUS) by adding water and stirring, or by adding water with a steam bath. However, I cannot guarantee that the volume will be 100ml.
guyat35
Is it possible to prepare Aluminum chloride (hexahydrate) solution(15%) from Aluminum chloride powder (ANHYDROUS)? I need it only in small quentities ie. 100ml.
Please help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Just add water, stirr, a bit of heat would help but not too much.

Seriously water plus AlCl3 is a very powerful almost explosive reaction, lots of heat comes out of it. So you will have to add the water carefully. A simple method is take your AlCl3 and leave it out in the open for a few days, it will absorb ambient humidity and then adding more water will be by far less explosive. Or add water with a steam bath. Easy to build, take a pot with a lid add hot water in it, and place your AlCl3 in a cup so that it does not get wet or floats, close the lid and wait for a bit.

Last edited:

... or just leave it out in the moist air. Takes longer. Not as exciting.

Lok said:
Just add water, stirr, a bit of heat would help but not too much.

Seriously water plus AlCl3 is a very powerful almost explosive reaction, lots of heat comes out of it. So you will have to add the water carefully. A simple method is take your AlCl3 and leave it out in the open for a few days, it will absorb ambient humidity and then adding more water will be by far less explosive. Or add water with a steam bath. Easy to build, take a pot with a lid add hot water in it, and place your AlCl3 in a cup so that it does not get wet or floats, close the lid and wait for a bit.

Thanks for the help. I think adding water to AlCl3 will give me Aluminum chloride (hexahydrate) in white crystal form. But how can make a 15% solution of Aluminum chloride (hexahydrate)? Adding Alcohol? Is it the right way? please help

Alcohol is for later... evenings in pubs.

All you need to do is (assuming that the 15% is in mass percentage) add 15g of AlCl3hexa to 85g of water. The result will be 15%, but I cannot guarantee that you will end up with 100ml, rather close to that anyway.

If the solution should be in alcohol, there should be some mention of that in the formula. The same goes with the percentage for alcohol 85 g, and still no telling how close the volume will be.

guyat35 said:
Is it possible to prepare Aluminum chloride (hexahydrate) solution(15%) from Aluminum chloride powder (ANHYDROUS)? I need it only in small quentities ie. 100ml.
Please help.
To get AlCl3*6H2O from AlCl3 it's better if you use dilute HCl, instead of water.

1. What materials do I need to prepare AlCl3 (Hexahydrate) 100ml?

To prepare AlCl3 (Hexahydrate) 100ml, you will need aluminum chloride (AlCl3), deionized or distilled water, a stirring rod, a beaker or flask, and a balance for measuring the amount of AlCl3 needed.

2. What is the procedure for preparing AlCl3 (Hexahydrate) 100ml?

The procedure for preparing AlCl3 (Hexahydrate) 100ml involves measuring out the desired amount of AlCl3, adding it to the beaker or flask, and then slowly adding deionized or distilled water while stirring continuously until the AlCl3 is completely dissolved. The solution can then be transferred to a volumetric flask and topped off with water to reach the 100ml mark.

3. What is the purpose of preparing AlCl3 (Hexahydrate) 100ml?

Preparing AlCl3 (Hexahydrate) 100ml allows for the creation of a standardized solution of this compound, which can be used for various experiments and analyses in the laboratory. It also ensures accuracy and consistency in experiments that require a specific concentration of AlCl3.

4. How should the prepared AlCl3 (Hexahydrate) 100ml solution be stored?

The prepared AlCl3 (Hexahydrate) 100ml solution should be stored in a tightly sealed container, away from direct light and heat. It is also recommended to label the container with the date and concentration of the solution for future reference.

5. What precautions should be taken when handling AlCl3 (Hexahydrate) 100ml?

AlCl3 (Hexahydrate) can be corrosive and can cause skin and eye irritation. It is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, when handling this compound. It should also be used in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any fumes.