Particular Integral of arctan example

In summary: As a math teacher, I should know them, but I don't.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the indefinite integral of \int \frac{(dx)}{(2x^2 + 2x + 5)}. The individual first multiplies by (1/2) / (1/2) to eliminate the coefficient of x^2 in the denominator, then completes the square of the denominator by adding 1/4 - 1/4 and simplifying to get the integrable form \int \frac{du}{u^2 + a^2}. They then solve for the constant by comparing coefficients and determine the correct substitution of variables. The expert suggests memorizing basic integrals as a helpful tool
relinquished™
I know for a fact that

[tex]
\int \frac{(du)}{(a^2 + u^2)} = \frac{1}{a} \cdot arctan \frac{u}{a} + C
[/tex]

I was given the problem of solving the indefinite integral of

[tex]
\int \frac{(dx)}{(2x^2 + 2x + 5)}
[/tex]

First, I multiplied the integral by (1/2) / (1/2) to eliminate the coefficient of the x^2 in the denominator, so now I am left with

[tex]
\frac{1}{2} \cdot \int \frac{(dx)}{(x^2 + x + \frac{5}{2})}
[/tex]

Now, in completing the square of the denominator, I added [tex] \frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{4} [/tex] (which is zero) so that the equation would look like this:

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{dx}{x^2 + x + \frac{5}{2} + \frac{1}{4} - \frac{1}{4}}
[/tex]

Simplifying, I got:

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{dx}{x^2 + x + \frac{1}{4} + (\frac{5}{2} - \frac{1}{4})}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{dx}{(x + \frac{1}{2})^2 + \frac{9}{4}}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{dx}{(x + \frac{1}{2})^2 + ( \frac{3}{2})^2}
[/tex]

If we let [tex](x + \frac{1}{2})^2 = u^2[/tex] and [tex]( \frac{3}{2})^2 = a^2[/tex] we now have the integrable form stated above, so

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{du}{u^2 + a^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{2} \cdot \frac{2}{3} \cdot arctan \frac{u}{a} + C
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{3} \cdot arctan \frac{x^2 + \frac{1}{2}}{\frac{3}{2}} + C
[/tex]

[tex]
= \frac{1}{3} \cdot arctan \frac{2(x^2 + \frac{1}{2})}{3} + C
[/tex]

My questions are:
(1) Is this the correct solution?
(2) If my solution is correct, how do you get the necessary constant in order to make the denominator of this problem a complete square? the (1/4 - 1/4) I added to the denominator just popped out of my mind. Is there any way to get it without resorting to trial and error?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
1) No, there seems to be some confusion regarding the subsitution of variables, you've chosen (x + 1/2)^2 = u^2, this means that u = x + 1/2, not u = (x + 1/2)^2.

2) Suppose you wanted to write x^2 + bx + c in the form (x + p)^2 + q, i.e. you want to choose p, q such that x^2 + bx + c = (x + p)^2 + q = x^2 + 2px + p^2 + q. Comparing coefficients on both sides of the equation gives 2p = b and p^2 + q = c. So you can take p = b/2 and q = c - p^2 = c - (b/2)^2.

Last edited:
When I was doing this I found trying to complete all the quadratic equations I had by completing the square rather than any other method. Either actually solving them or just putting them in the form [itex]a(x+b)^2 + c[/itex], remember good algebra techniques greatly help calculus.

Muzza said:
1) No, there seems to be some confusion regarding the subsitution of variables, you've chosen (x + 1/2)^2 = u^2, this means that u = x + 1/2, not u = (x + 1/2)^2.

um... since [tex] u^2 = ( x + \frac{1}{2} )^2 [/tex] you can directly place this in the integrable form because the form needs a [tex] u^2 [/tex],

but I understand the process of solving the quadratic eq'n or completing the square. thanx.

I was just wondering if the answer I got was correct.

relinquished™ said:
um... since [tex] u^2 = ( x + \frac{1}{2} )^2 [/tex] you can directly place this in the integrable form because the form needs a [tex] u^2 [/tex],

but I understand the process of solving the quadratic eq'n or completing the square. thanx.

I was just wondering if the answer I got was correct.
In the final two steps you have ended up replaces u with [itex]x^2 + 1/2[/itex], that was the only mistake I think.

You also picked the wrong u originally. But then when you went to substitute you put in the right one. But later when you replaced u with x you went back to the wrong u.

ahh.. ok, I see the mistake. Sorry. And the title should be Particular Integral that yields arctan. My mistake as well...

the u should be

[tex] u = x + \frac{1}{2} [/tex]

and the real answer should be

[tex]= \frac{1}{3} \cdot arctan \frac{2(x + \frac{1}{2})}{3} + C[/tex]

thanx again for the clarifications and replies. ^_^

Last edited:
I like your approach though; I probably would have used a ugly trig sub. I should probably memorize a few of the basic integral in tables.

1. What is a particular integral?

A particular integral is a term used in mathematics to describe a specific solution to a differential equation. It is usually denoted by yp and is added to the complementary function (general solution) to obtain the complete solution to the differential equation.

2. What is the arctan function?

The arctan function, also known as the inverse tangent function, is a mathematical function that gives the angle, in radians, whose tangent is a given number. It is the inverse of the tangent function and is commonly used in trigonometry and calculus.

3. How is the particular integral of arctan example solved?

The particular integral of arctan example can be solved by first identifying the differential equation and separating the complementary function and the particular integral. The particular integral can be found by using the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters, depending on the type of differential equation.

4. What is the significance of the particular integral in solving differential equations?

The particular integral is important because it allows us to find a specific solution to a differential equation, rather than just the general solution. This is useful in real-world applications where we need to find a particular value or set of values that satisfies the given equation.

5. Can the particular integral of arctan example be applied to other types of differential equations?

Yes, the particular integral of arctan example is just one example of solving a specific type of differential equation. The method used can also be applied to other types of differential equations, such as linear or non-linear equations, with some modifications to the process.