Horizontal tangent points (implicit differentiation)

In summary, the homework statement is to find the points on the lemniscate where the tangent is horizontal. Homework equations state that y' = 0 when x = 128x^6 - 32x^5 + 2x^4 - 1800x^23 + 175x^2 + 1250x. I got the correct gradient of y' = [ 50x - 8x^3 - 8y^2 ] / [ (8x^2)y + 50y + 8y^3 ], and then solved for y = + ( -8x^3 + 50x)^1/2 ), after which I subbed this y into the original equation and tried to solve for x, whereby I reached a
TsAmE

Homework Statement

Find the points on the lemniscate: 2( x^2 + y^2 )^2 = 25( x^2 - y^2 ) where the tangent is horizontal

Homework Equations

Horizontal tangent: y' = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct gradient of y' = [ 50x - 8x^3 - 8y^2 ] / [ (8x^2)y + 50y + 8y^3 ], and then solved for y = + ( -8x^3 + 50x)^1/2 ), after which I subbed this y into the original equation and tried to solve for x, whereby I reached a dead end. The last line I got to was complicated when solving for x: 128x^6 - 32x^5 + 2x^4 - 1800x^23 + 175x^2 + 1250x = 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
To tell the truth, I didn't work through your stuff, but here's another idea that will work. First, notice that your equation has all symmetries so if you find an HTL in the first quadrant you will have three more by symmetry.

Put your equation into polar form r = f(θ), then calculate y' by using the polar formula:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{d\theta}}{\frac{dx}{d\theta}}

= \frac{r(\theta)\cos\theta+r'(\theta)sin\theta}{-r(\theta)\sin\theta+r'(\theta)cos\theta}[/tex]

You might want to get r' implicitly when you get there. To get a slope of 0 you just need to think about getting the numerator 0. With a bit of work you should be able to find a θ and then (x,y) that works.

I haven't learned polar form, in a test we are expected to do it the hard way:frown:

Well, looking at your problem in rectangular coordinates, I get:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}= \frac {8(x^2+y^2)x-50x} {8(x^2+y^2)y +50y}[/tex]

You can set the numerator to zero, factor out x and solve the other factor for x in terms of y. Plug that back into your original equation and you get a 4th degree equation in x, but no odd powers, so it is a quadratic equation in x2 which you can solve for x2, then for x. Seems a little long for an exam, but you can work through it.

Sorry but I don't understand. I tried it again and found a mistake in my previous calculation and got:

0 = [ 50x - 8x^3 - 8y^2 ] / [ (8x^2)y + 50y + 8y^3 ]
0 = 2( 25x - 4x^3 - 4y^2 ) then solved for y^2
y^2 = (25 / 4)x - x^3 subbed that back into my original equation:
2[ x^(2) + (25 / 4)x - x^3]^2 = 25[ x^(2) - (25 / 4)x + x^3 ]

which seems right to me, but now I am not sure how to simplify it

TsAmE said:
Sorry but I don't understand. I tried it again and found a mistake in my previous calculation and got:

0 = [ 50x - 8x^3 - 8y^2 ] / [ (8x^2)y + 50y + 8y^3 ]

By my calculations, you are missing an x in the last term in the numerator. It should be -8y2x, so you get:

x(50-8x2-8y2)

in the numerator.

Oh ok I got y^(2) = -2x^(2) + (25x / 2) then subbed it back into the equation to get

2[x^(2) - 2x^(2) + (25x / 2)] = 25[x^(2) + 2x^(2) - (25x / 2)]
2x^2 - 4x^(2) + (25x / 2) = 25x^(2) + 50x^(2) - (625x / 2)

and I can't see that getting factorised anytime soon

TsAmE said:
Oh ok I got y^(2) = -2x^(2) + (25x / 2)

Once again, the first thing you write down is wrong. You are apparently in a calculus class and you ought to be able to do simple algebra correctly. Once you correctly solve for y2 you should get a very easy equation to solve for x2 then x.

Also, please learn to use the X2 button to make your equations more readable.

What is a horizontal tangent point?

A horizontal tangent point is a point on a curve where the tangent line is parallel to the x-axis, meaning it has a slope of 0. This point represents a critical point on the curve where the rate of change is neither increasing nor decreasing.

How do you find the horizontal tangent points of a curve?

To find the horizontal tangent points of a curve, you can use implicit differentiation. Set the derivative of the curve equal to 0 and solve for the x-values that satisfy this condition. These x-values correspond to the horizontal tangent points on the curve.

Why is implicit differentiation used to find horizontal tangent points?

Implicit differentiation is used to find horizontal tangent points because it allows us to find the derivative of an implicit function (where y is not explicitly given in terms of x). This allows us to find the slope of the curve at any point, including the horizontal tangent points.

Can there be more than one horizontal tangent point on a curve?

Yes, there can be more than one horizontal tangent point on a curve. This occurs when the curve has multiple points where the slope is 0, resulting in multiple horizontal tangent points.

What is the significance of horizontal tangent points in calculus?

Horizontal tangent points are significant in calculus because they represent critical points on a curve where the rate of change is neither increasing nor decreasing. This allows us to find maximum and minimum values of a function, which is important in optimization problems.