First order, non linear ode problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution and particular solution for a first-order ODE. The approach of separating variables is used but it is found to be unsolvable due to the equation being singular. It is then determined that the only solution that satisfies the given initial value problem is y(x)=0. It is also clarified that in first-order ODEs, there is no particular solution but instead a unique solution needs to be found using the initial value problem.
trix312

Homework Statement

Finding the general solution of y'= (2y^2)/e^x
and the particular given that y(0) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I separate variables etc. to get y = -1/(2c-2e^(-x)) where c is the constant. The problem then is obtaining the particular solution. If I substitute y and x for 0 i am left with 0= -1/(2c-2) which is unsolvable. what am i doing wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is singular at y=0. There's another obvious solution you are missing.

Ok.. I also get this as a solution y = -e^x/(ce^x-2) but this is also singular at y = 0.. i can't see the other obvious solution.

trix312 said:
Ok.. I also get this as a solution y = -e^x/(ce^x-2) but this is also singular at y = 0.. i can't see the other obvious solution.

That's the same as your first solution. If an ode is singular, it may have more than one solution. So there may be another one besides the one you found. How about y is identically equal to zero?

yeah, i don't understand what you mean when you say that its singular. Does that mean the particular solution does not exist?

The way I see it, you're confusing first-order ODEs with second-order ODEs.

In a first-order ODE, there is no particular solution, but instead a general solution, which is just a family of functions for different "c"s, that is, constants.

Once you're given an IVP (Initial Value Problem), then you'll find a value for the constant "c", which leads to a unique solution to your first-order ODE.

Don't use the term "particular solution" for first-order ODEs, use "unique solution" instead, that's because in second-order ODEs, you generally have two solutions called "complementary solution" and "particular solution", so be careful with the nomenclatures, as that can make a big confusion.

For example, your first-order ODE is

[tex]y' = \frac{2y^2}{e^x}[/tex]

You said that you separated the variables, so that leads us to

[tex]\frac{dy}{y^2} = \frac{2}{e^x}dx[/tex]

Which can also be rewritten as

[tex]\frac{dy}{y^2} = 2e^{-x} dx[/tex]

So what do you do now? You integrate both sides

[tex]\int \frac{dy}{y^2} = \int 2e^{-x} dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{-1}{y} = -2e^{-x} + c [/tex]

ATTENTION: Always remember your constants, after the integration process.

So I believe you can take it from here. Also, don't forget that the problem asks for a specific solution, that is, a unique solution, and not the general solution, so that means you'll have to solve for "C", and that can be done by using your initial value problem, which was given.

Last edited:
thanks for the detailed explanation. So I need to find the unique solution, and you have taken me to the part were i fail to find it. This is my blockade. The IVP is when y(0) = 0 and when i try to solve for "c" it is not possible. Uniqueness fails. I think this is what Dick was trying to tell me with y being identically equal to zero. Although I don't see exactly why that is so.

When you separate variables, you are assuming y is not zero. Otherwise, you couldn't divide by y.

trix312 said:
thanks for the detailed explanation. So I need to find the unique solution, and you have taken me to the part were i fail to find it. This is my blockade. The IVP is when y(0) = 0 and when i try to solve for "c" it is not possible. Uniqueness fails. I think this is what Dick was trying to tell me with y being identically equal to zero. Although I don't see exactly why that is so.

I think I'm using 'singular' in the wrong way, but the solution y(x)=0 for all x solves your equation. In that case you can't divide both sides of your equation by y^2 and use separation of variables. Because y=0!

Dick said:
I think I'm using 'singular' in the wrong way, but the solution y(x)=0 for all x solves your equation. In that case you can't divide both sides of your equation by y^2 and use separation of variables. Because y=0!

Hmm, that's true, it can't be done by separation of variables then.

But is there a solution then?

Ok. I think I sort of got the hang of what is happening in this problem. Yeah, there is no other possibility except y(x)= 0 . It is the only solution that would work for the given IVP. Thanks,

Je m'appelle said:
Hmm, that's true, it can't be done by separation of variables then.

But is there a solution then?

y(x)=0. Isn't that a solution?

Dick said:
y(x)=0. Isn't that a solution?

trick problem :mad:

Je m'appelle said:

In a first-order ODE, there is no particular solution, but instead a general solution, which is just a family of functions for different "c"s, that is, constants.
And I think you are confusing homogeneous differential equations with their nonhomogeneous counterparts.

Let's look at a simple example.
Homogeneous: y' - 2y = 0
Nonhomogeneous: y' - 2y = x

For the homogeneous equation, it's easy to see that the general solution is y = Ae2x. If this had been an initial value problem we could use the initial condition to solve for A.

For the nonhomogeneous equation, a particular solution is yp = -x. As before, the complementary solution is yc = Ae2x, so the general solution is y = yc + yp = Ae2x - x. Given an initial condition we could solve for A, arriving at a unique solution to the nonhomogeneous problem.
Je m'appelle said:
Once you're given an IVP (Initial Value Problem), then you'll find a value for the constant "c", which leads to a unique solution to your first-order ODE.

Don't use the term "particular solution" for first-order ODEs, use "unique solution" instead, that's because in second-order ODEs, you generally have two solutions called "complementary solution" and "particular solution", so be careful with the nomenclatures, as that can make a big confusion.

Mark44 said:
And I think you are confusing homogeneous differential equations with their nonhomogeneous counterparts.

Let's look at a simple example.
Homogeneous: y' - 2y = 0
Nonhomogeneous: y' - 2y = x

For the homogeneous equation, it's easy to see that the general solution is y = Ae2x. If this had been an initial value problem we could use the initial condition to solve for A.

For the nonhomogeneous equation, a particular solution is yp = -x. As before, the complementary solution is yc = Ae2x, so the general solution is y = yc + yp = Ae2x - x. Given an initial condition we could solve for A, arriving at a unique solution to the nonhomogeneous problem.

You're absolutely correct Mark. What I meant was in fact homogeneous and nonhomogeneous equations just as you said, and somehow mislabelled it as first-orders and second-orders. Thanks for correcting me up.

Je m'appelle said:

Actually, what particular solution means depends on the context. Some texts use the term to mean the solution to the IVP, as opposed to the general solution, and it's in this sense that the OP has used it. I don't see it as any sign of confusion on his or her part.

What is a first order, non linear ode problem?

A first order, non linear ode problem is a type of differential equation that involves a single independent variable and a function of that variable. Unlike linear ode problems, which can be solved using standard techniques, non linear ode problems require more advanced methods and often do not have exact solutions.

What is the difference between a first order, non linear ode problem and a first order, linear ode problem?

The main difference between a first order, non linear ode problem and a first order, linear ode problem is that the former involves a non linear function of the independent variable, while the latter involves a linear function. This makes the solution process for non linear ode problems more complex and often requires numerical or approximate methods.

Why are first order, non linear ode problems important in science?

First order, non linear ode problems are important in science because they can model a wide range of physical phenomena in fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. These problems allow scientists to make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems, making them a crucial tool in scientific research and development.

What are some common techniques used to solve first order, non linear ode problems?

Some common techniques used to solve first order, non linear ode problems include separation of variables, the method of integrating factors, and power series solutions. Other methods, such as numerical and approximation techniques, may also be used to solve these types of problems.

Can all first order, non linear ode problems be solved exactly?

No, not all first order, non linear ode problems can be solved exactly. In fact, many non linear ode problems do not have closed-form solutions and require numerical or approximate methods to find a solution. This is due to the complexity of the non linear function involved in the problem, which makes it difficult to find an exact solution using standard techniques.