What is the probability that a subgraph of a connected graph is also connected?

• Thread starter samirg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary, the question is asking for the probability that a subgraph of a random graph G(n,p), where p is the probability of an edge between two nodes, is connected based on a specific criteria, and whether this probability is less than p. The criteria mentioned is that all nodes in the subgraph are at a particular distance from one fixed node. This distance is typically defined as the length of the shortest path between nodes.
samirg
Hi Guys
I need some help on graph connectivity problem.
Given a graph is connected with probability p, what is the probablity that its subgraph is also connected?
In other words, we have to find the probablity that a subgraph of a connected graph is connected?

I hope i have made my question clear. Any help in this matter is really appreciated.

Thanks

Samir

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is impossible to answer the question without you saying more about the original graph. Given a "star graph" ie one central node and all vertices rays from it, then any subgraph must be connected, given another graph this will almost certainly fail to be true.

connectivity of graph(problem redefinition)

matt grime said:
It is impossible to answer the question without you saying more about the original graph. Given a "star graph" ie one central node and all vertices rays from it, then any subgraph must be connected, given another graph this will almost certainly fail to be true.

Hi matt

The problem can be stated as
Given a random graph G(n,p) where n is number of nodes in the graph and p is the probability that an edge exits between two nodes, (when p=0 graph does not have any edges and when p = 1 graph is fully connected.) then if i take a subgraph of this random graph based on criteria that all the nodes of this subgraph are at a particular distance from one fixed node, then what is the probability that this subgraph is connected? I want to know whether this probability will be less than p, and if yes how much less?

I hope this makes question a bit clearer.

Thanks again

Samir

Double and triple posting is generally frowned upon.

Now you've introduced the word distance. the usual distance on graph is the length of the shortest path between nodes, which when defined explicitly tells you the subgraph you've picked must be connected (assuming the fixed node is in the subgraph).

1. What is the definition of connectivity in a graph?

Connectivity in a graph refers to how well connected or linked the vertices or nodes are to each other. A graph is considered connected if there is a path between any two vertices.

2. How is connectivity measured in a graph?

The most common way to measure connectivity in a graph is by calculating its minimum number of edges or vertices that need to be removed in order to disconnect the graph. This is known as the graph's connectivity number or minimum cut size.

3. What is the significance of connectivity in a graph?

The concept of connectivity is important in many real-world applications, such as transportation networks, social networks, and computer networks. It helps to determine the robustness and efficiency of a network, as well as identify critical nodes or edges that can cause the network to fail.

4. Can a graph have multiple levels of connectivity?

Yes, a graph can have different levels of connectivity. The minimum number of edges or vertices that need to be removed to disconnect a graph is known as the graph's connectivity number. However, there can also be higher levels of connectivity, such as biconnectivity (2-edge connectivity) and triconnectivity (3-edge connectivity).

5. How can the connectivity of a graph be improved?

There are several ways to improve the connectivity of a graph, such as adding more edges or vertices, creating alternate paths between nodes, and removing bottlenecks or critical points. These methods can help to increase the robustness and efficiency of a network.