Transmittance, Reflectivity and Band gap

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the knowledge of transmittance and reflectance curves and how they can provide information about the band gap and electronic structure of a metal. The conversation also mentions the differences in these curves for semiconductors and the difficulties in extracting n and k values from a reflectance curve of a nitride material. It is suggested to consult books on solid state physics, specifically Ashcroft Mermin and Yu and Cardona's text, for further understanding of optical properties of materials.
Ravian
I was wondering that how the knowledge o transmittance and reflectance curves can give us information about the band gap and electronic structure of a metal? How these curve differ for semiconductors? I desperately tried to extract n, k values from the reflectance curve of a nitride material about which I have no information whether it is metallic or semiconducting. Is there any way to do that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one seems to be interested so I present my own explanation to see if some one agrees or not. consider the case of semiconductor transmission, since there is a band gap (see schematic fig, energy values increase towards right and transmission upwards) so material is fairly opaque in highe energy range but there is abrupt change at the onset of absorption and in IR range it becomes transmitting. Transmission stays flat there because there are only interband transitions. On the other hand for metal, we almost similar behavior by the metal in the high energy range and at the band gap (band gap does not necessarily mean a material is semiconducting until and unless we have several other calculations to support SC state) but in low frequency region we again fall in the transmission. Possible explanation for this fall might that electrons very close to surface absorb EM waves, vibrate and loose energy. This energy can be seen as reflection (which will be less than transmission but still can be significant). Finally not to mention that there is a reasonably good amount of absorption as well. What does this explanation sound like?
Secondly let us say we have reflectance curve instead of transmission then how can I calculate n, k vaules from it? I know the reflectivity formula and I am afraid to use (alpha= 4pi*k/lambda) to find k values. It gives wron answer.

Attachments

• metal.jpg
    metal.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 531
  • sc.jpg
    sc.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 539
Almost every book on solid state physics should have a chapter on optical properties.
I recommend Ashcroft Mermin, solid state physics. An interesting source is also Landolt Boernstein.

Yu and Cardona's text is much better than Ashcroft and Mermin for optical properties materials.

The Landolt-Borstein books are reference tables of properties and not a text per say.

1. What is transmittance?

Transmittance refers to the ability of a material to allow light to pass through it. It is a measure of the intensity of light that is transmitted through a material compared to the intensity of the incident light.

2. What is reflectivity?

Reflectivity is the measure of the amount of light that is reflected off the surface of a material. It is the ratio of reflected light to the incident light and is often expressed as a percentage.

3. What is band gap?

Band gap refers to the energy difference between the valence band and the conduction band in a material. It is a key property of a material that determines its electrical and optical properties, such as conductivity and transparency.

4. How is transmittance related to band gap?

Transmittance and band gap are inversely related. As the band gap of a material increases, its ability to transmit light decreases. This means that materials with wider band gaps are more opaque, while those with narrower band gaps are more transparent.

5. Can transmittance and reflectivity be controlled?

Yes, transmittance and reflectivity can be controlled by altering the properties of a material, such as its band gap or surface roughness. This can be achieved through various techniques such as doping, annealing, and thin film coatings.