Sorry if this is an unusual question, but

• Thread starter Biologik
  • Start date
In summary, the average educational level on this platform is quite high, with a majority of graduate students and advanced undergraduates. There are also some members who have finished school, and a few interested laymen and high schoolers. However, it would be unusual to see someone with only an 8th grade education. The majority of regular members seem to have at least a bachelor's degree, with some pursuing advanced degrees in fields such as Aerospace Engineering, while others have a strong interest in physics despite not having a formal education in the subject.
Biologik
What is the average educational level here? I was assuming a Masters in Physics...

Please don't give me an infraction ''Monique''.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like there are a lot of doctoral students, but they may or may not have masters depending on how the program handles it (that's my situation).

johng23 said:
Seems like there are a lot of doctoral students, but they may or may not have masters depending on how the program handles it (that's my situation).

So it would be unusual to see someone of an 8th grade education here?

Most of the regulars are graduate students and advanced undergrads I believe, and some who have finished school I am sure. But most of the members, who are not regulars, seem to be undergrad, interested laymen and then high schooler - in that order.

Thats just what I have observed in my limited time here.

Well I must say I started to visit back then from 2002, when I was in high school.

So I am little bit old. (-:

Hey, I have an 8th grade education!

Actually a bit more (BA in Aesthetics), but never took a physics class. That must be apparent from my posts though...

Well, I'm a regular reader (though infrequent commenter), and I'm currently a masters student in Aerospace Engineering.

What does "Sorry if this is an unusual question, but" mean?

"Sorry if this is an unusual question, but" is a phrase often used to preface a question that may be perceived as strange or out of the ordinary. It is a way to apologize in advance for potentially asking something unexpected or uncommon.

Why do people use "Sorry if this is an unusual question, but"?

People may use this phrase as a way to show consideration for the person they are asking the question to. By acknowledging that the question may be unusual, they are acknowledging that it may make the person uncomfortable or caught off guard. It is also a way to soften the potential impact of the question.

Is it necessary to use "Sorry if this is an unusual question, but"?

No, it is not necessary to use this phrase. Some people may find it polite or considerate to use, while others may find it unnecessary or even annoying. It is ultimately a personal choice and depends on the context and relationship between the two people involved.

What are some examples of "unusual" questions?

This can vary greatly depending on the person being asked and their individual perspectives. Some people may find questions about personal or sensitive topics to be unusual, while others may find questions related to obscure or niche interests to be unusual. It is important to use discretion and consideration when asking any question that may be perceived as unusual.

How can I respond to "Sorry if this is an unusual question, but"?

A simple response could be "No worries, go ahead and ask your question." This shows that you are open to hearing the question and are not uncomfortable with its potential unusualness. Alternatively, you could also acknowledge the apology and respond with "It's okay, go ahead and ask your question. I'm all ears." This can help reassure the person and make them feel more comfortable asking their question.