Difference between Raman scattering and Rayleigh scattering

In summary, Raman scattering involves the excitation of molecules to virtual electronic levels, followed by the emission of a photon with a different energy level. Rayleigh scattering is a similar process but with no change in energy level, resulting in elastic scattering. Brillouin scattering is a macroscopic property that occurs when phonons or magnetic fields disrupt the equilibrium of particles, causing a change in frequency of the incident light. While it is possible to describe Rayleigh and Raman scattering in terms of Brillouin scattering, it is more commonly viewed from a solid-state physics perspective rather than a chemical physics one. There is no meaningful way to define the index of refraction for a single molecule.
DanSandberg
Can someone qualitatively explain the difference between Raman scattering, Rayleigh scattering, and Brillouin Scattering with respect to molecules? I attempt to define each below but would appreciate either affirmation I'm correct or correction if I'm wrong.

Raman scattering - Molecules contain electronic states of energy. Within each electronic state there are vibrational states of energy. If a molecule in the ground electronic / ground vibrational state absorbs a photon and reaches an excited electronic state / excited vibrational state (likely the case due to Franck-Condon principle), the molecule will likely thermally relax to the excited electronic / ground vibrational state via a non-radiative process, i.e. internal conversion, and then emit a photon of lesser energy (stokes radiation).

Rayleigh scattering - Unlike Raman, its elastic. So the E of the photon absorbed equals the E of the photon emitted. Essentially, the only thing the molecule does is change the direction of propagation for the light.

Brillouin Scattering - (This one is the tough one) The presence of phonons (sound) or a magnetic field (magnons) or thermal gradients interrupts the "lattice" of particles or equilibrium distribution of particles and, in turn, affects the index of refraction. The result in a change of frequency.

Brillouin is the one I struggle with really. Doesn't the index of refraction merely change the direction of the light toward the normal of the surface? I'm thinking about it too simply, I know, but by what equation does index of refraction change the frequency of incident light? I've seen Rayleigh and Raman scattering described in terms of Brillouin scattering. Also, index of refraction is a more macroscopic property. What is going on at the atomic level in Brillouin scattering?

Physics news on Phys.org

Well, your description of Raman is an entirely correct description.. of fluorescence!

The difference here is that Raman is an excitation to a 'virtual' electronic level. It doesn't exist, and the molecule is not in the 'excited' state for any observable amount of time. (It's really just an artifact of how it's calculated, like virtual particles in QFT) The molecule then relaxes back to either a lower or higher energy level (relative its original state) by emitting another photon. Vibrational relaxation don't really enter into it, as there's no time. Of course, the excited state the molecules is left in after raman scattering might undergo vibrational relaxation.

Since the timescale here is so short (much shorter than fluorescence, not to mention phosphorescence) the re-emitted photon can be viewed as the same photon, with a change in energy corresponding to the change in energy of the electronic levels. From that point-of-view, it's the elastic scattering of a photon off the molecule.

Rayleigh can be viewed as the same process as for Raman, only with no changes in the energy levels of the molecule, hence elastic scattering.

Brillouin scattering is indeed a more macroscopic property, but it is related. It wouldn't occur to me to describe Rayleigh or Raman in terms of Brillouin scattering since I'm a chemical physicist. (indeed, a student learning physical chemistry would typically learn all about the former two, but not Brillouin). It's a solid-state physicist point of view to try to describe molecular phenomena in terms of condensed matter phenomena rather than vice versa! :) It's a bit silly. What's the refractive index of a molecule?

Right - i knew that! Stupid mistake regarding the Raman, I wasn't fully awake yet.

In terms of the refractive index of a molecule, I'm not sure there is one. I suppose you could consider the wave equations for a photon and a phonon and try to extract the constructive/destructive interference but so far I'm not having much success with this. I'm going to keep at it and see if I can derive something to explain it quantum mechanically.

Ah, it was rhetorical really. There no meaningful way (to my knowledge) to define the index of refraction for a single molecule.

What is Raman scattering?

Raman scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon of light interacts with a molecule and transfers energy to it, causing the molecule to vibrate and emit a photon of lower energy. This results in a shift in the wavelength of the scattered light, known as the Raman shift.

What is Rayleigh scattering?

Rayleigh scattering is a phenomenon in which light is scattered by particles much smaller than the wavelength of light, such as molecules or small dust particles. It is responsible for the blue color of the sky and the reddening of the sun during sunset.

What is the main difference between Raman and Rayleigh scattering?

The main difference between Raman and Rayleigh scattering is that Raman scattering involves a change in the energy of the scattered light, resulting in a shift in wavelength, while Rayleigh scattering does not involve a change in energy and therefore does not result in a shift in wavelength.

How are Raman and Rayleigh scattering used in scientific research?

Raman and Rayleigh scattering are both important techniques used in scientific research, particularly in the fields of material science, chemistry, and physics. Raman scattering is commonly used to analyze the chemical composition of materials, while Rayleigh scattering is used to study atmospheric and environmental phenomena.

Are Raman and Rayleigh scattering related?

Yes, Raman and Rayleigh scattering are related in that they both involve the scattering of light by particles. However, they differ in the mechanism of scattering and the resulting changes in energy and wavelength of the scattered light.