What is the equivalent resistance through circuit?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a circuit with multiple resistors and the attempt to simplify it using Kirchoff's laws. The main confusion lies in labeling the current and setting up the equations. The individual's approach is to label the current flowing through the battery as (I-1) + (I-2) + (I-3) and to use four equations. However, after multiple attempts, the individual concludes that there may be a mistake in their approach and seeks guidance.
tMANn

Homework Statement

uploaded image
529d4c4b-d58d-44ac-a5d8-18ebd9a3ef12.png

a) What is the equivalent resistance through circuit? (Answer is 1.638 ohms)

B) what is the current through the 5ohm resistor? (Answer is 1.911 amps downward)

The main part I am confuse about in part A) is what is in parallel and what part is in series because I haven't really worked with a circuit like this before.(Am I even suppose to simplify it?) For part B) I am confused about how to set up the current(like i1, i2, i3,etc). I know you can set up the current anyway you like, but if you can give me an example it will help a lot. You don't have to get the answer for me, just explain those 2 things will be fine. thanks!

Homework Equations

Parallel: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ...
Series: Req = R1 + R2 + ...

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried doing it several times but it failed. I just want an explanation as stated above.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all circuits can be simplified using the rules for resistors in parallel or series. Have you learned about Kirchoff's laws? (also known as the loop rule and junction rule)

yes I have learned about Kirchoff's laws, but I thought it would be easier to simplify it first (if possible). Like I can apply kirchhoffs laws pretty easy in 2 or 3 loop circuits, but i am having trouble in this one. Sometimes I get confused in saying where the current (I) goes, especially in a more complex circuit as shown above. I'll show you how I set up the current (I am sure this is where my mistake comes in), and hopefully you can lead me to the right direction. Ill post in about 5mins. thanks though for quick response

cb067ae8-4cb7-4f47-90ab-b476ff8005ec.png

I don't know if you can read it

3OHM = I-3 downward
1OHM = I-1 to the right
4OHM = I-2 downward
2OHM = I-4 downward
6OHM = I-4 + I-2 to the left
5OHM = (I-1) - (I-4) downward

Got it. What will be your label for the current flowing through the battery? (Remember that when applying Kirchoff's laws, you need to label all segments of wire with their currents)

Once you figure that out, try writing the loop laws. Since this is a slightly complicated circuit, you might first want to think about how many loops (and thus how many equations) there will be, before you spend time figuring out what they are.

flowing through the battery looks like (I-1) + (I-2) + (I-3). And I think I will need 4 equations. I think I've tried it doing it like this before, but I'll try it again (maybe I made a mistake somewhere)
thanks!

edit: also is the 5OHM resistor (I-1) - (I-4) downward or (I-1) - (I-4) + (I-2)downward, cause it looks like I-2 gets added in? not sure about this

and will i have to use the flow through the battery anywhere in the equations? (I've never really used the I's without a resistor before that's why i left it blank)

Last edited:
yep, wrong answer again =\

tMANn said:
flowing through the battery looks like (I-1) + (I-2) + (I-3). And I think I will need 4 equations. I think I've tried it doing it like this before, but I'll try it again (maybe I made a mistake somewhere)
thanks!
Makes sense. You might not need the current flowing through the battery, but it's good to label it for consistency.
tMANn said:
edit: also is the 5OHM resistor (I-1) - (I-4) downward or (I-1) - (I-4) + (I-2)downward, cause it looks like I-2 gets added in? not sure about this
I can't know anything more than you do on that count.
tMANn said:
yep, wrong answer again =\
If you show your work, we can help you see if you've done something wrong.

figured it out, tried a different way, thanks diazona

1. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component opposes the flow of electric current. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

2. How is resistance calculated?

Resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law which states that resistance (R) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the current (I), or R=V/I. It can also be calculated using the formula R = ρl/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, l is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance is the combined resistance of a series or parallel circuit. In a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is equal to the sum of all individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Req is the equivalent resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances.

4. Why do we need to calculate equivalent resistance?

Calculating equivalent resistance allows us to simplify complex circuits and analyze the overall behavior of the circuit. It also helps us determine the amount of current flowing through the circuit and the amount of voltage drop across each component.

5. What factors affect equivalent resistance?

The factors that affect equivalent resistance include the number and arrangement of components in a circuit, the individual resistance values, and the type of connection (series or parallel). Temperature and material properties can also impact the equivalent resistance of a circuit.