Higher-order differential equations

In summary, the student is trying to solve a nonhomogeneous equation, but is having trouble finding the general equation. He has tried several methods, but is stuck at this point.
jackalope1234

Homework Statement

y'' + 2y' +y = 5e^6x

use undetermined coefficients to solve this equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what I would normally do is

m^2 + 2m + 1 = 0

but then I get stuck I can't find the general equation as this won't factor. I tried several different methods so I'm just wondering what everyone else would do. After I get the general it's easy but I'm stuck at this point. I have several other problems similar to this making me think there is some method I can't remember for fixing this but I can't seem to find it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember the quadratic equation?

if [itex]ax^2 + bx + c = 0[/itex],

[tex]x = \frac{1}{2a}\left(-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}\right)[/tex]

Use that to get the values of m you need for your homogeneous solution.

can I leave a negative within the squareroot sign and that would give me my m1 and m2? I'm also just worried about this for later on I can see it getting very messing when i Have to differentiate and integrate these for the other questions in my homework.

jackalope1234 said:

Homework Statement

y'' + 2y' +y = 5e^6x

use undetermined coefficients to solve this equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

what I would normally do is

m^2 + 2m + 1 = 0

but then I get stuck I can't find the general equation as this won't factor.
Sure it factors! This is a perfect square trinomial, and you shouldn't need to use the Quadratic Formula. Give it another try.
jackalope1234 said:
I tried several different methods so I'm just wondering what everyone else would do. After I get the general it's easy but I'm stuck at this point. I have several other problems similar to this making me think there is some method I can't remember for fixing this but I can't seem to find it.

sorry that I misplaced the 2 the equation should read
2m^2 + 2m + 1

Well, that makes a difference. Your characteristic values are going to be complex.

so something like
-2/4 + isqrt(4)/4 and -2/4 - isqrt(4)/4

I have a similar problem when I am doing variation of parameter using this same one as I have to use the Wronskian method which I don't know if it would work.

Last edited:
-2/4 + or - sqrt(4)i/4 is the answer I got after reviewing those pages. Also wondering if you have a good page on complex differentiation and integrating?

That's correct, but should be simplified. The solutions to 2m2 + 2m + 1 = 0 are m = (-1/2) +/- i/2.

This means that two solutions to the homogeneous problem are e(-1/2 + i/2)x and e(-1/2 - i/2)x.

These are a bit inconvenient to work with, so the usual trick is to break them up into products like this:
u1 = e-x/2ei/2 * x and u2 = e-x/2e-i/2 * x

By choosing suitable linear combinations of these you can eventually arrive at
y1 = ex/2sin(x/2) and
y2 = ex/2sin(x/2)

Next, you need to find a solution of the nonhomogeneous problem
2y'' + 2y' + y = 5e6x

1. What is a higher-order differential equation?

A higher-order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves derivatives of a dependent variable with respect to an independent variable. The order of a differential equation refers to the highest derivative present in the equation.

2. What is the difference between a first-order and a higher-order differential equation?

A first-order differential equation involves the first derivative of the dependent variable, while a higher-order differential equation involves higher derivatives. First-order equations can be solved using basic integration techniques, while higher-order equations require more advanced methods.

3. What are some applications of higher-order differential equations?

Higher-order differential equations are used in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They are particularly useful in modeling complex systems and predicting their behavior over time.

4. How do you solve a higher-order differential equation?

The process of solving a higher-order differential equation involves finding the general solution, which is a family of functions that satisfies the equation, and then using initial conditions to determine the specific solution. Different methods, such as separation of variables and variation of parameters, can be used depending on the type of equation.

5. What are some common challenges in solving higher-order differential equations?

Some of the challenges in solving higher-order differential equations include determining the correct method to use, finding the general solution, and satisfying boundary or initial conditions. In some cases, the equation may not have an explicit solution and numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution.