Counter Flip Flop: Analyzing Waveform Outputs

In summary: When X is high, Q1 toggles on the first clock pulse and then remains unchanged on subsequent clock pulses.
mmmboh
[PLAIN]http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/853/98302269.jpg

So I included the waveform I drew in the picture. The first one is the clock pulse, the second is the output from the T-flip flop on the left, and the third is the output from the T-flip flop on the right. I'm really not sure if this is right. What I did was treated the flip flop on the right like a normal T-flip flop, toggling on a high clock pulse, and then since that output is connected to a xor whose output is connected to the other T-flip flop (I didn't know what the X meant, so I assumed it was a high) so whenever the output from the right was low the left output would toggle, and whenever the output on the right was high the left output would remain unchanged.

Can someone tell me what they think? I'm not confident about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like Q will change when T = 1. This means output #2 will change ever clock pulse. Output #1 will only change if x is different to Q of JK #2.

Ok so does that mean by wave for the second output is right? I think that's what I did.

From what you have drawn if the top one is Q2, second one is x and third one is Q1 then I don't think the third wave form is correct.

No the first is the clock pulse, second is Q1, third is Q2. I'm not sure what X is, I took it as always high, is it suppose to vary?

If x is always high then Q2 would change every clock pulse (since T2 is held high), and Q1 would change every time x and Q2 are different on a clock pulse.

[PLAIN]http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4349/booh.jpg

Edit: Hm I think I figured it out, when x is low it counts up, when x is high it counts down. If that's right the rest can be ignored.

Ok so for example this is when X is high. The first wave (on top) is the clock pulse, the second is Q2, and the third is Q1. Q2 toggles on every positive edge, and since X is high Q1 toggles when Q2 is low. I wasn't sure if Q2 being low means it was just low, or it turns low, but I took it to mean if Q2 were just low, then Q1 would toggle, is that what is meant?

Anyway, is this wave ok?

Or does Q2 rise on the first rise of the clock pulse because Q2 is low, so T on the left flip flop is high, and then it would lower on the 3rd rise of the clock pulse because Q2 was just low? Is that it?

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks right.

1. What is a Counter Flip Flop?

A Counter Flip Flop is a digital circuit that is used to count the number of clock pulses or input signals and then output the corresponding binary value. It can be made up of multiple flip flops, with each flip flop representing a bit in the binary value.

2. How does a Counter Flip Flop work?

A Counter Flip Flop works by using a clock signal to trigger the flip flops to change state, and the output is based on the current state of the flip flops. When the clock signal rises, the flip flops will either increment or decrement based on the type of Counter Flip Flop, and the output will reflect this change.

3. What are the different types of Counter Flip Flops?

The three main types of Counter Flip Flops are the Synchronous Counter, Asynchronous Counter, and Ripple Counter. The Synchronous Counter uses a common clock signal for all the flip flops, while the Asynchronous Counter uses individual clock signals for each flip flop. The Ripple Counter uses the output of one flip flop as the clock signal for the next flip flop, allowing for cascading of multiple counters.

4. How do I analyze waveform outputs from a Counter Flip Flop?

To analyze waveform outputs from a Counter Flip Flop, you will need to use a logic analyzer or oscilloscope to capture the signals. You can then use the captured data to determine the clock frequency, count sequence, and any errors or glitches in the output.

5. What are some common applications of Counter Flip Flops?

Counter Flip Flops are commonly used in digital circuits for counting events, generating clock signals, and controlling sequential logic. They are also used in applications such as frequency dividers, frequency synthesizers, and digital clocks.