Definition of a limit with complex variables

In summary, the student attempted to solve a limit problem, but was having difficulty with the z+z0 piece. He fixed the latex and was able to solve the problem.
MatheStudent

Homework Statement

Use the definition of a limit to show that
[tex] lim (z^{2} +c) = z_{0}^{2} +c[/tex] as [tex] {z->z_{0}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Definition of a limit:
|f(z)-L|< epsilon if
0<|z-z0|< delta

The Attempt at a Solution

|(z^{2}+c )-(z_{0}^{2}+c)| = | z^{2}-z_{0}^{2}|= |(z-z_{0})(z+z_{0}) | < epsilon
and I want to find a delta for |z-z0| but I don't know what to do with the z+z0 piece.
This is also my first time here, and I'm having problems getting this post looking nice.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MatheStudent said:
This is also my first time here, and I'm having problems getting this post looking nice.
There's a bug that makes the wrong LaTeX images appear in previews. The only workaround is to refresh and resend after each preview, and sometimes you have to refresh one more time after saving the changes. You can edit your post during the first 11 hours and 40 minutes (700 minutes) after you posted it, but if you make major edits after someone replied, you should add a comment about it so that the guy who replied doesn't look like he's replying to something you never said.

Use itex tags around math expressions when there's text on the same line, and tex tags otherwise. (If the top gets cut off when you use itex, you might have to use tex even when there's text on the same line).

MatheStudent said:

Homework Statement

Use the definition of a limit to show that
[tex] \lim (z^{2} +c) = z_{0}^{2} +c[/tex] as [tex] z\rightarrow z_{0}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Definition of a limit:
|f(z)-L|< epsilon if
0<|z-z0|< delta

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]|(z^{2}+c )-(z_{0}^{2}+c)| = | z^{2}-z_{0}^{2}|= |(z-z_{0})(z+z_{0}) | < \epsilon[/tex]
and I want to find a delta for |z-z0| but I don't know what to do with the z+z0 piece.
I fixed some of your latex. (\lim and \rightarrow are useful codes). The first idea that occurs to me is to write [itex]z+z_0=z-z_0+2z_0[/itex]. This way you get two terms, and you can try to choose [itex]\delta[/itex] to make each term [itex]<\varepsilon/2[/itex].

Thanks for the help (in both latex and the problem), and I now have it solved, so thanks again.

1. What is a limit in complex variables?

A limit in complex variables is a fundamental concept in calculus that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. In the case of complex variables, the input and output are both complex numbers.

2. How is the definition of a limit different with complex variables compared to real variables?

The definition of a limit in complex variables is similar to that of real variables, but it involves the concept of approaching a point from any direction in the complex plane rather than just from the left or right. This means that the limit may exist for some directions but not for others.

3. What are some common techniques for evaluating limits with complex variables?

Some common techniques for evaluating limits with complex variables include using the Cauchy-Riemann equations, using polar coordinates, and using L'Hôpital's rule. These techniques can help simplify complex expressions and make it easier to determine the limit.

4. Can a limit in complex variables have multiple values?

Yes, a limit in complex variables can have multiple values. This is because the limit may exist for some directions but not for others, resulting in different values depending on the direction of approach. In these cases, we say that the limit does not exist.

5. How are limits in complex variables used in real-world applications?

Limits in complex variables are used in many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. They are particularly useful in analyzing and predicting the behavior of dynamic systems and in solving complex optimization problems.