What major should I pursue for a career in clean energy engineering?

In summary, you should pursue environmental engineering as your major if you want to focus on green energy, and Mechanical Engineering is a good option for broadening your horizons. There are many opportunities available to a mechanical engineer who wants to work on clean energy projects.
kitenyos
Hi, I am a junior in high school starting the college process. I want to go into engineering focusing on clean energy. For example, designing windmills or fuel cell engines. My dream job would be working for a company that builds clean energy plants. What major should I pursue? Are there any specific colleges that offer this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
kitenyos said:
Hi, I am a junior in high school starting the college process. I want to go into engineering focusing on clean energy. For example, designing windmills or fuel cell engines. My dream job would be working for a company that builds clean energy plants. What major should I pursue? Are there any specific colleges that offer this? Thank you.

Many engineering schools offer an environmental specialization or minor along with their regular degrees, but I think Environmental Engineering is what you should be looking for if you'd like to focus on green energy (I hope you mean wind turbines though, otherwise I'd have to say you would have a hard time finding a job where you get to design windmills :smile:).

I would also add that you don't have to be an environmental engineer to work on these type of projects. From what I've heard (I'm just an engineering student though), these type of projects tend to be so large and complex that, whether you work at the design or manufacturing end, chances are you'll have all types of engineers, technologists, scientists and even business people working on it.

Last edited:
mechanical engineering certainly wouldn't be a bad place to start. It is a broader field than environmental engineering so you might have more opportunities upon graduation depending upon where your specific interests take you. Many schools probably offer some type of emphasis or a minor in environmental to steer you into that direction so do some research. Regardless, I'm a mechanical student and I worked in a fossil power plant last semester. Now I am trying to go to work this summer for a company that's designing clean (or at least slightly less dirty) coal technologies. So there are certainly opportunities out there.

Mechanical engineering is the broadest form of engineering so it will probably allow you to keep your options open. However, many kinds of engineering can lead to a career in clean energy. Materials engineering and electrical engineering has a lot to do with solar cells and fuel cells. Nuclear engineering obviously leads to careers in nuclear power. There are many options open to you.

Thanks a lot guys. This is very helpful.

What is clean energy engineering?

Clean energy engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the development and implementation of renewable energy sources and technologies, such as solar, wind, hydro, geothermal, and bioenergy. It involves designing, building, and maintaining clean energy systems that can reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and decrease the negative impact on the environment.

What are the benefits of clean energy engineering?

Clean energy engineering offers several benefits, including reducing greenhouse gas emissions, improving air quality, and promoting energy independence. It also creates job opportunities, drives economic growth, and helps mitigate the effects of climate change.

What types of technologies are used in clean energy engineering?

Clean energy engineering utilizes a variety of technologies, such as solar panels, wind turbines, hydroelectric dams, geothermal power plants, and biofuel production facilities. These technologies harness the natural resources of the earth and convert them into usable energy without emitting harmful pollutants.

What are some challenges facing clean energy engineering?

One of the main challenges facing clean energy engineering is the initial cost of implementing these technologies. While they may have long-term benefits, the upfront costs can be expensive. Another challenge is the intermittent nature of renewable energy sources, which can make it difficult to provide a consistent and reliable energy supply. Additionally, there is a need for further research and development to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of these technologies.

How can I get involved in clean energy engineering?

There are several ways to get involved in clean energy engineering. One option is to pursue a degree in engineering with a focus on renewable energy. You can also participate in internships or volunteer opportunities with clean energy companies or organizations. Additionally, you can support clean energy initiatives and advocacy efforts in your community or work towards implementing clean energy practices in your own home or workplace.