Dielectric and Parallel Plate Capacitor

In summary, a parallel plate capacitor with a 4.0-nF capacitance and a Mylar dielectric (κ = 3.1) is initially charged to a potential difference of 120 V. To remove the Mylar, work is required and the potential difference between the plates will change. The potential energy of the capacitor with the dielectric is 28,880 nJ, but the potential energy without the dielectric requires further calculation using the definition of a capacitor.
opprobe

Homework Statement

A 4.0-nF parallel plate capacitor with a sheet of Mylar (κ = 3.1) filling the space between the plates is charged to a potential difference of 120 V and is then disconnected. (The initial capacitance including the dielectric is 4.0 nF.)

(i) How much work is required to completely remove the sheet of Mylar from the space between the two plates?

(ii) What is the potential difference between the plates of the capacitor once the Mylar is completely removed?

Homework Equations

Q=CV
C=kA(Epsilon_0)/d
-W=Uf-Ui
U = (Q^2)/2C = C(V^2)/2 = QV/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Capacitance w/ dielectric = 4.0 nF
Capacitance w/o dielectric = (4.0 nF)/κ = (4.0 nF)/3.1

Potential Energy w/ dielectric = [(4.0 nF)(120 V)^2]/2 = 28,880 nJ

And...I don't know how to calculate the Potential Energy w/o the dielectric. Can someone point me to the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
opprobe said:
And...I don't know how to calculate the Potential Energy w/o the dielectric. Can someone point me to the right direction?

If the charge remains the same on the plates (where could it have gone?), and you know the capacitance value...

Thank you so much! I can't believe I completely forgot the definition of a capacitor...

What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is a non-conducting material that can be placed between the plates of a capacitor to increase its capacitance.

How does a parallel plate capacitor work?

A parallel plate capacitor consists of two parallel plates separated by a dielectric material. When a voltage is applied to the plates, an electric field is created, causing positive and negative charges to accumulate on the plates. This creates a potential difference between the plates, allowing the capacitor to store electrical energy.

What factors affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the area of the plates, the distance between the plates, and the dielectric material between the plates. A larger plate area, smaller distance between plates, and higher dielectric constant will result in a higher capacitance.

How does a dielectric material affect the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor?

The dielectric material between the plates of a capacitor can increase the capacitance by reducing the electric field between the plates. This is because the dielectric material can store some of the electric charge, allowing for a higher charge to be stored on the plates at a lower potential difference.

Can the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor be changed?

Yes, the capacitance of a parallel plate capacitor can be changed by altering the area of the plates, the distance between the plates, or the dielectric material between the plates. It can also be changed by connecting multiple capacitors in series or parallel.