Observations a TOE must agree with?

• Thread starter Aztral
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Toe
In summary, a Theory of Everything (TOE) must agree with the standard model at low energies, which includes redshift data, element ratios, CMB temperature and lumpiness, and the particle "zoo." It must also account for dark energy and dark matter ratios. Other necessary observations include the unification of quantum mechanics and general relativity, prediction of particle masses and behaviors, and explanation of fundamental concepts such as charge, spin, and relativity. Ultimately, a TOE should provide a comprehensive understanding of the origin and nature of the universe.
Aztral
Another silly question here :)

What are some of the cosmological observations a TOE must agree with? (I'm making a list)

Some that I can think of...
a) redshift data (Type 1a supernovas, etc.)

b) element ratios (Hydrogen, Helium,...)

c) bias toward 'matter' rather than 'antimatter'

d) CMB temperature

e) CMB "lumpiness" (side question: Would predicting the 'fractal' dimension of the CMB (I think it's around 3) be sufficient to satisfy this condition?)

f) the particle 'zoo'

g) dark energy / dark matter ratio. (I think this condition may 'follow' from a), but I'm listing it anywayz)

What else am I missing? (note: I'm asking for some of the 'observational' data points that must be hit-not 'theories.')
Ya know I actually saw a good number of these listed in another thread, but 'sigh' I can't find it now.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A TOE has to agree with the standard model at low energies, and the standard model gets a, b, d, and e right, so I think you can knock those off.

Great-thank you.

So, so far I'm on the right track in compiling a list of the 'big' observations that must be explained?

Oh..I forgot. g) dark energy dark matter ratio

Anything else?

Aztral said:
Oh..I forgot. g) dark energy dark matter ratio

It's not obvious to me that a theory would have to predict this in order to be a theory of everything. I guess it depends on what you mean by "everything." To me, a TOE implies a set of physical laws, but not necessarily a set of initial conditions for the universe, which you could argue g falls under.

-Ben

bcrowell said:
It's not obvious to me that a theory would have to predict this in order to be a theory of everything. I guess it depends on what you mean by "everything." To me, a TOE implies a set of physical laws, but not necessarily a set of initial conditions for the universe, which you could argue g falls under.

-Ben

Right! And the more I think about it, the more I realize that in a 'TRUE' TOE some of the items in this list would imply other items (and vice versa). And some items would just be redundant.

When you specify TOE would a unification theory qualify? The point is that the unification of QM and GR would not necessarily give complete answers to everything that can in principle be predicted by a TOE if you take the acronym at face value.

my_wan said:
When you specify TOE would a unification theory qualify? The point is that the unification of QM and GR would not necessarily give complete answers to everything that can in principle be predicted by a TOE if you take the acronym at face value.

Hi.

I was speaking of TOE, as opposed to a gut or a "toe." :)

Aztral said:
Hi.

I was speaking of TOE, as opposed to a gut or a "toe." :)

1. all couplings values and their relations and origin. That includes computing the behavior at all energies (and distances-up to edge of the universe if there is one(CC)). and if there is a physical cut-off or not.

2. the theory must predict particles with their masses explained.Inculding light and its clear interaction picture with matter.

3. What is charge exactly and how does the value come about.

4. the origin of Spin and entanglment.

5. how do particles behave in flight, like the double slit experiment.

6. The real source of the effect of relativity. That is of course includes what is Space and time. and what is vacuum made of.

7. the relation between all of the above.

8. the origin and the fate of the universe or(universes)

But Most of all what is existence made of, if not a mathematical imperative.

I propose a better name for such a theory. Fundamental Model of Reality.

Last edited:

1. What is a TOE?

A TOE, or Theory of Everything, is a theoretical framework that attempts to explain and unify all fundamental forces and particles in the universe.

2. Why is it important for a TOE to agree with observations?

A TOE must agree with observations in order to be considered a valid and accurate representation of the natural world. If a theory does not align with observed data, it is likely incorrect and needs to be revised or discarded.

3. What types of observations does a TOE need to agree with?

A TOE must agree with a wide range of observations, including those from experiments, observations of celestial bodies, and measurements of natural phenomena. It should also be able to explain and predict new observations as they are made.

4. How do scientists test if a TOE agrees with observations?

Scientists use a variety of methods to test if a TOE agrees with observations. This may include conducting experiments, analyzing data, making predictions, and comparing the theory to other well-established theories.

5. Can a TOE ever fully agree with all observations?

It is unlikely that a TOE will ever fully agree with all observations. As our understanding of the universe evolves and new technologies and techniques are developed, our observations will also continue to change. However, a good TOE should be able to explain and predict a vast majority of observations within a certain range of accuracy.