Aqueous systems questions

In summary: For this problem, Q = 1.31x10^-4 mol L-1, so the salt will precipitate if the fluoride concentration is higher than 1.31x10^-4 mol L-1.
hobomoe
I had these two questions in a test and I was completely stumped.

1. Make a 1-2L buffer solution containing methanoic acid and methanoate ions and with a pH of 3.74 using 1.07molL-1 HCOOH, solid HCOONa, 1.04molL-1 HCl, 1.16molL-1 NaOH(not all together). pKa(HCOOH)=3.74 M(HCOONa)=68gmol-1
Discuss two methods to make the buffer solution.

pH=pKa so HCOOH mol= HCOO- mol
1L HCOOH=1.07mol
1.07 mol of HCOONa x 68gmol-1=72.76g
1L of HCOOH with 72.76g of HCOONa will make a 1L buffer of 3.74 pH.

NaOH+HCOOH=HCOONa+H2O
1.07mol NaOH+ 2.14mol HCOOH=1.07mol HCOONa
Since the remaining 1.07mol of HCOOH reacts with the 1.07mol of HCOONa no more solutions need to be added.
0.4612L NaOH+ 1L HCOOH=1.4612L buffer solution of 3.74pH.

I think this one is correct.

2. F- ions are added to a towns water supply as they believe it helps with dental health. The towns water supply is 'hard' (high conc. of Ca2+ ions) with a conc. of 1.86x10^-3 molL-1. They think a F- conc. of 2.00x10^-4 molL-1 would be appropriate. A scientist recommends 1.31x10^-4 molL-1 because of the calcium ions present. Determine whether the scientist is correct and justify your answer.

I have no idea where to begin. I'm guessing it has something to do with the reactions quotient, Qs, and the solubility constant, Ks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
hobomoe said:
I had these two questions in a test and I was completely stumped.

1. Make a 1-2L buffer solution containing methanoic acid and methanoate ions and with a pH of 3.74 using 1.07molL-1 HCOOH, solid HCOONa, 1.04molL-1 HCl, 1.16molL-1 NaOH(not all together). pKa(HCOOH)=3.74 M(HCOONa)=68gmol-1
Discuss two methods to make the buffer solution.

pH=pKa so HCOOH mol= HCOO- mol
1L HCOOH=1.07mol
This is where you went wrong.

2. F- ions are added to a towns water supply as they believe it helps with dental health. The towns water supply is 'hard' (high conc. of Ca2+ ions) with a conc. of 1.86x10^-3 molL-1. They think a F- conc. of 2.00x10^-4 molL-1 would be appropriate. A scientist recommends 1.31x10^-4 molL-1 because of the calcium ions present. Determine whether the scientist is correct and justify your answer.

I have no idea where to begin. I'm guessing it has something to do with the reactions quotient, Qs, and the solubility constant, Ks.

What is the target fluoride level? (it doesn't need to be F-, BTW)

I got the top one right I'm pretty sure. The bottom one is regarding precipitates, so Qs can't be greater than Ks. I got that the scientist was right but I'm too lazy to type it out.

For the second question, fluorine and calcium can form a precipitate depending on the concentrations of the two ions. Since [Ca2+] = 1.86[itex]\times[/itex]10-3 M, using the Ksp of CaF2 you can find the equilibrium concentration of the F- anion, which is the maximum concentration that the solution could hold before it precipitates: Ksp = [Ca2+][F-]2, plug in the the values of Ksp and Ca2+, and you should get the [F-]. A fluoride concentration higher than this number will precipitate calcium fluoride.

Another way of solving this problem is using the ion product Q, which has the form of the Ksp, except that the concentrations are the actual or proposed (not equilibrium) concentrations. If Q > Ksp, then the salt will precipitate.

As a scientist, it is important to understand the principles of buffer solutions and their applications in aqueous systems. In the first question, you are asked to prepare a buffer solution with a pH of 3.74 using methanoic acid and methanoate ions. There are two methods to achieve this, and both are correct.

The first method involves using a known concentration of methanoic acid (HCOOH) and adding the appropriate amount of solid methanoate ions (HCOONa) to achieve a 1-2L buffer solution. This method is based on the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which states that the pH of a buffer solution is equal to the pKa of the weak acid when the concentrations of the weak acid and its conjugate base are equal. In this case, the pKa of methanoic acid is 3.74, so by adding 72.76g of HCOONa to 1L of 1.07molL-1 HCOOH, you will achieve a buffer solution with a pH of 3.74.

The second method involves using a strong base, such as NaOH, to react with the methanoic acid and form the methanoate ions. This method is based on the principle that when a strong base is added to a weak acid, it will react to form the conjugate base and water. In this case, 1.07mol of NaOH will react with 2.14mol of HCOOH to form 1.07mol of HCOONa and water. This method will also result in a 1-2L buffer solution with a pH of 3.74.

In the second question, the town's water supply is 'hard' due to the high concentration of Ca2+ ions. The addition of F- ions is believed to improve dental health, but the appropriate concentration is being debated. The scientist's recommendation of 1.31x10^-4 molL-1 is based on the principle of common ion effect. When a common ion, in this case, Ca2+, is present in a solution, it decreases the solubility of a compound containing the same ion, in this case, F-. Therefore, the recommended concentration of F- takes into account the presence of Ca2+ and ensures that the desired concentration of F- will remain in the solution.

In conclusion, both the methods used to prepare the

1. What is an aqueous system?

An aqueous system is a system that contains a solvent (usually water) and one or more solutes (substances dissolved in the solvent). This type of system is commonly found in nature and is essential for many chemical and biological processes.

2. How do you determine the concentration of a solute in an aqueous system?

The concentration of a solute in an aqueous system can be determined by measuring the amount of solute present in a given volume of solvent. This can be done using techniques such as titration or spectroscopy.

3. What is the difference between a saturated and unsaturated aqueous system?

A saturated aqueous system is one in which the solvent has reached its maximum capacity for dissolving a particular solute. An unsaturated aqueous system still has the potential to dissolve more solute.

4. How does temperature affect aqueous systems?

Temperature can affect the solubility of a solute in an aqueous system. In general, as temperature increases, the solubility of solids in aqueous systems also increases. However, the opposite is true for gases, as their solubility decreases with increasing temperature.

5. What are some real-life examples of aqueous systems?

Aqueous systems are all around us and are essential for many processes. Some examples include: the ocean (saltwater is an aqueous system), blood (water is the solvent for many nutrients and waste products), and household cleaning products (which often contain aqueous solutions of various chemicals).