Magnitude of Magnetic force on Wire

In summary, the formula for calculating the magnitude of magnetic force on a wire is F = ILB sinθ. The current in the wire has a direct effect on the magnitude of magnetic force, as it increases, the force also increases. Similarly, the length of the wire has a direct effect on the magnitude of magnetic force, as it increases, the force also increases. The angle between the wire and the magnetic field has an inverse effect on the magnitude of magnetic force, as it increases, the force decreases. Finally, the strength of the magnetic field also has a direct effect on the magnitude of magnetic force, as it increases, the force also increases.
Physics Help!
An isolated segment of wire of length L=4.50 m carries a current of magnitude i=35.0 A at an angle theta=50.3 degrees with respect to a constant magnetic field with magnitude B= 6.70E-2 T. What is the magnitude of the magnetic force on the wire?
a) 2.66 N
b) 3.86
c) 5.60 N
d) 8.12 N
e) 11.8 N
What I did was:
F=ILxBsin(theta)
=(35.0A)(4.50m)*( 6.70E-2T * sin(50.3 degrees))
I got 8.12 N but I checked on the back of the book and it says that the answer is (e) but I don't know how to get that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is OK

I agree that 8.12 N is correct. It looks like the book has an error here.

1. What is the formula for calculating the magnitude of magnetic force on a wire?

The formula for calculating the magnitude of magnetic force on a wire is F = ILB sinθ, where F is the magnetic force, I is the current in the wire, L is the length of the wire, B is the magnetic field strength, and θ is the angle between the wire and the magnetic field.

2. How does the current in the wire affect the magnitude of magnetic force?

The magnitude of magnetic force is directly proportional to the current in the wire. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic force also increases.

3. What is the relationship between the length of the wire and the magnitude of magnetic force?

The magnitude of magnetic force is also directly proportional to the length of the wire. This means that as the length of the wire increases, the magnetic force also increases.

4. How does the angle between the wire and the magnetic field affect the magnitude of magnetic force?

The magnitude of magnetic force is proportional to the sine of the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. This means that as the angle increases, the magnetic force decreases.

5. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the magnitude of magnetic force on a wire?

The magnitude of magnetic force is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that as the magnetic field strength increases, the magnetic force also increases.