Electric current? how many electrons?

In summary: Think of it this way, if you have 10 apples and you want to know how many apples you have in 5 minutes, do you multiply 10 x 5 = 50 apples or do you divide 10 by 5 = 2 apples per minute so 5 minutes would be 2 x 5 = 10 applesIn summary, a net charge of 49 mC passes through the cross-sectional area of a wire in 12.0 s. The current in the wire is 4.1E-3A. To find the number of electrons that pass through the cross-sectional area in 1.0 min, you would divide the current by the charge of 1 electron and then multiply by
snash1057

Homework Statement

A net charge of 49 mC passes through the cross-sectional area of a wire in 12.0 s

(a) What is the current in the wire?
_4.1E-3_ A

(b) How many electrons pass the cross-sectional area in 1.0 min?
______electrons

Homework Equations

I=Q/t

The Attempt at a Solution

part A was very simple, 49E-3/12 = 4.1E-3 amps

however part b i do not understand.

1 electron = 1.6E-19 and 1 coulumb = 6.24E18

49E-3 x 6.24E18 = 3.06E17 x 60 = 1.8E19 incorrect

49E-3 x 1.6E-19 = 7.84E-21 x 60 = 4.7E-19 incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to realize that 1amp means 1 coulomb per second.
Current is the rate of flow of electric charge

if i am sort of understanding what you are saying, you mean to use my answer for part a in order to get my answer for part b?

well i have tried something like that, but i still must be off track because i still got it wrong

4.1E-3 x 6.24E18 = 2.56E18 x 60 = 1.5E18 incorrect

You have the current to be 4.1 x 10^-3A which means 4.1 x 10^-3 coulombs per second.
The charge on 1 electron is 1.6 x 10^-19 coulombs so how many electrons per second.
Be careful the question asks for how many in 1MINUTE

if i have 4.1E-3 c/s then wouldn't i have to multiply that by the one electron?

4.1E-3 x 1.6E-19 = 6.56E-22

but like you said since it is one minute and there are 60 seconds in a minute i would multiply 6.56E-22 by 60 in order to get 3.9E-20

im sorry for all this, but I am just really confused haha :)

To find how many electrons you do not multiply !

What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is typically measured in units of amperes (A).

How is electric current created?

Electric current is created when there is a potential difference, or voltage, between two points in a circuit. This creates an electric field that pushes electrons from the negative terminal of a power source to the positive terminal.

What is the direction of electric current?

The direction of electric current is opposite to the flow of electrons. This means that electric current flows from the positive to the negative terminal of a power source.

How is electric current measured?

Electric current is measured using an ammeter, which is connected in series to the circuit. The ammeter measures the flow of charge through the circuit and displays the value in amperes (A).

How many electrons make up an electric current?

An electric current is made up of a large number of electrons. The exact number depends on the strength of the current, but it is typically on the order of billions of electrons per second.