What can be Determined from Colour-Colour Diagrams?

• Thread starter Ricky116
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagrams
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a colour-colour diagram of a young open cluster and the potential information that can be gathered from it. The individual is seeking help with interpreting the diagram and finding practical analysis resources. Several links are suggested, including one for interpreting the colour-colour diagram of M92 and another for analyzing color-magnitude diagrams. The conversation also mentions the use of stellar models and estimating factors such as metalicity and effective temperature from the diagram.
Ricky116
Hi,

I have a colour-colour (that is, V-R against B-V) diagram of a young open cluster, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on any information that can be gleaned from such a diagram? I have searched the internet and these forums to no real avail.

There is a clear linear line through the diagram with many stars on either side, perhaps there is a standard V-R/B-V correlation my observations can be compared against? Would it make sense to compare my diagram with that found from Landolt's data: http://brucegary.net/photometry/V-R.htm ?

If anyone could help me begin to interpret the diagram, or provide me with a link to actual practical analysis I could utilise it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Here are some links that might prove useful.

Interpretation of the colour-colour diagram of M92
http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1970MNRAS.149..179B

Color-Color Analysis of GLIMPSE Point Sources

http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~daniel/

Color Magnitude Diagram of Cluster M67 -
http://astronomyonline.org/Astrophotography/CMDDiagram.asp

COLOR-MAGNITUDE DIAGRAMS
ANALYSIS
Color-color and color-magnitude diagrams were analyzed
with the help of a software...

http://www.astro.iag.usp.br/~iaus266/Posters/pCosta-Caetano.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
You can compare them to stellar models as well as other clusters. One thing that you might be able to estimate from them is metalicity and other factors that affect the star's effective temperature. If you plot an idea blackbody on the diagram you can see how and where the temperature differs.

Thankyou very much, Radrook and vociferous.

From a colour-colour diagram, several things can be determined about a group of stars or a young open cluster. Firstly, the colour-colour diagram can provide information about the temperature of the stars. The V-R and B-V colours are related to the stars' surface temperature, with hotter stars appearing bluer and cooler stars appearing redder. By plotting the colours of the stars on the diagram, we can determine the overall temperature range of the stars in the cluster.

Additionally, the position of the stars on the diagram can also reveal their age. Younger stars tend to be hotter and bluer, while older stars are cooler and redder. By comparing the colour-colour diagram of the open cluster with that of other known clusters of different ages, we can estimate the age of the cluster in question.

The linear line that you have observed through the diagram is known as the main sequence. This line represents the majority of stars in the cluster and provides information about the stars' mass and luminosity. By comparing the position of the main sequence in your diagram with that of other clusters, you can determine the mass and luminosity of the stars in your cluster.

The comparison with Landolt's data can also be useful in determining the accuracy of your observations and measurements. If your diagram aligns closely with Landolt's data, it provides confidence in your results.

In summary, a colour-colour diagram can provide valuable information about the temperature, age, and mass/luminosity of stars in a young open cluster. By comparing your diagram with data from other sources, you can further refine your analysis and interpretation. I hope this helps in your research.

1. What is a colour-colour diagram?

A colour-colour diagram is a graphical representation of the colours of celestial objects, such as stars or galaxies. It plots the colour of an object at different wavelengths or filters, usually in the form of a scatter plot.

2. How are colour-colour diagrams used in astronomy?

Colour-colour diagrams are used by astronomers to study the properties of celestial objects, such as their temperature, composition, and distance. They can also be used to identify different types of objects, such as stars, galaxies, and nebulae.

3. What information can be determined from colour-colour diagrams?

Colour-colour diagrams can provide information about the temperature, composition, and age of celestial objects. They can also reveal the presence of dust, gas, and other materials in the object's environment.

4. How are colour-colour diagrams created?

Colour-colour diagrams are created by measuring the brightness of an object at different wavelengths or filters and plotting the results on a graph. The colours are typically represented by different symbols or colors, and the axes correspond to different filters or wavelengths.

5. Can colour-colour diagrams be used to make predictions?

Yes, colour-colour diagrams can be used to make predictions about the properties of celestial objects. For example, astronomers can use them to predict the temperature and composition of stars, or the type of galaxy a particular object belongs to.