Effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze

In summary, the conversation is about the search for the effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze, particularly in self-oiled sliding bearings. The person asking for help has not been able to find this information, as sintered bronze manufacturers do not typically measure thermal conductivity. The other person suggests looking at the TPPC data series, which may have some information on thermal properties of alloys. However, the problem with finding a specific answer is that there are many variables involved, such as the density of the material and the presence of oil in the pores. The general estimate for thermal conductivity of sintered bronze compared to dense copper alloys is 80-85%.
vprantan
Hi

I've been trying to find effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze, especially of that used in self-oiled sliding bearings (like Oilite). I need it to know how much less it is compared to dense copper alloys, eg. tin bronze.

So far my search has proven fruitless. It seems that sintered bronze manufacturers do not measure thermal conductivity at all, whereas for dense material it is normally stated.

Any help here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The TPPC data series is quite comprehensive for thermal property data on common alloys. I'm not sure if it's been kept up to date. Purdue used to publish it, Touloukian was the editor if I recall.

The problem with what you are asking is there is to many variables in the material to give you a definite answer. The thermal conductivity will be proportional to the density of the material. The general sintered bronze material has a range of density from 6.0-7.4 g/cc the theoretical density for 90/10 bronze is 8.75g/cc. This mean that when not impregnated with oil the thermal conductivity will be in an exponential approaching the full density value based on density. Next because of the oil in the pores will conduct heat also this will need to be taken into account and the variables in the effective filling of the pores as well as the oil that is used. If you are looking for ballpark numbers I would put it at 80-85% the thermal conductivity of the wrought bronze material as standard oillite is an SAE841 (6.4-6.8 g/cc). I will look to see if there is any graphs that might have been developed in years past.

What is the definition of effective thermal conductivity?

The effective thermal conductivity of a material is the measure of its ability to conduct heat. It takes into account both the intrinsic thermal conductivity of the material and the effects of microstructures, such as pores, inhomogeneities, and interfaces.

How is the effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze determined?

The effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze is typically determined through experimental measurements, such as the hot disk method or the guarded hot plate method. These methods involve applying a heat flow through the material and measuring the resulting temperature difference, which can then be used to calculate the effective thermal conductivity.

What factors affect the effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze?

The effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze is influenced by various factors, including the porosity of the material, the size and shape of particles, the distribution of particles, and the presence of any impurities. The manufacturing process and sintering conditions can also impact the effective thermal conductivity.

How does the effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze compare to other materials?

The effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze is generally lower than that of other metals, such as copper and aluminum, but higher than that of most polymers and ceramics. It also varies depending on the specific composition and processing of the sintered bronze material.

What applications is the effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze important for?

The effective thermal conductivity of sintered bronze is crucial for applications where heat transfer is essential, such as in heat exchangers, electronic devices, and automotive components. It is also important in the design and optimization of sintered bronze materials for various industrial and consumer products.