Derivation of lattice parameter of zinc blende crystal structure

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the lattice parameter in terms of the Zn-S separation distance, l. It is explained that each tetrahedron has a sulfide ion in the center, creating an isosceles triangle with an angle of θ = cos-1(1/3) and sides of length l. Using the law of cosines, the length of the opposite side, x, is found to be 2/√3 * l. However, there is confusion about the relationship between x and the lattice parameter, a, with the answer being a = 2x. After realizing a mistake in the bond angle, it is determined that √2 * a = 2x.
emmanuelpn
I need to derive the lattice parameter in terms of the Zn-S separation distance, l.

I looked up the value and I've found it to be
a = [itex]\frac{4}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]l

The way that I started my derivation was saying that each tetrahedron has a sulfide ion in the center, so then we can make a triangle from the center point, and two zinc adjacent atoms. This isosceles triangle will have an angle
θ = cos-1[itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]
with two equal sides of the separation distance l, and an opposite side of the angle θ, let's call it x. Finding x is then easy using the law of cosines.
x2 = 2l2 – 2l2cosθ
then
x = [itex]\frac{2}{\sqrt{3}}[/itex]l

Now, I'm having a hard time relating x to a. And the only way it seems to work out to get the answer I looked up is by saying a = 2x. But from the crystal structure, my mind tells me [itex]\sqrt{2}a[/itex] = 2x.

Does anyone know what's going on?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Found my mistake! the bond angle is arcos(-⅓)!

1. What is the significance of deriving the lattice parameter of zinc blende crystal structure?

The lattice parameter of a crystal structure is a fundamental property that describes the spacing between atoms within the crystal. In the case of zinc blende, this parameter is important for understanding the physical properties and behavior of this specific crystal structure, which is commonly found in materials such as semiconductors and minerals.

2. How is the lattice parameter of zinc blende crystal structure derived?

The lattice parameter of zinc blende crystal structure is typically derived using X-ray diffraction techniques. This involves shining a beam of X-rays onto a sample of the crystal and measuring the angles at which the X-rays are diffracted. By using Bragg's Law, which relates the diffraction angles to the spacing between atoms, the lattice parameter can be calculated.

3. What factors can affect the lattice parameter of zinc blende crystal structure?

The lattice parameter of zinc blende crystal structure can be affected by various factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities or defects within the crystal. These factors can cause the atoms to shift or vibrate, leading to changes in the spacing between them and ultimately altering the lattice parameter.

4. How does the lattice parameter of zinc blende crystal structure compare to other crystal structures?

The lattice parameter of zinc blende crystal structure is unique to this specific crystal structure and cannot be compared directly to other structures. However, it is worth noting that the lattice parameter can vary significantly between different types of crystal structures, even for the same material.

5. Can the lattice parameter of zinc blende crystal structure be experimentally controlled?

Yes, the lattice parameter of zinc blende crystal structure can be experimentally controlled to some extent. By manipulating the temperature, pressure, or composition of the crystal, the lattice parameter can be altered. This is an important aspect in the study and development of materials with specific properties and functionalities.