Extensive Solubility in Solids (as in not intensive)

In summary: However, there is still some ambiguity surrounding the exact definition and conditions of extensive solubility.
evguy75
I am trying to understand the concept of extensive solubility. Generally, solubility is supposed to be an intensive property because it is a material property independent of size, quantity, length, etc. I am having trouble finding a definition for extensive solubility though.

So far, I have found articles that allude to extensive solubility having to do with atom size. Evidently extensive solubility takes place when dissimilar atoms are nearly the same size. And I have seen extensive solubility referred to in several other journal articles.

But I still cannot find a description for what extensive solubility actually is, or what conditions promote extensive solubility. Can someone please shed some light on the subject?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
!Extensive solubility is a phenomenon that occurs when two substances are able to mix in such a way that they form a homogeneous solution. This is usually due to the fact that the atoms of the two substances are similar in size, which allows them to bond easily and evenly throughout the solution. Common examples of extensive solubility include the combination of alcohol and water, as well as sugar and salt dissolving in water. Additionally, this type of solubility is promoted by high temperatures and pressure.

1. What is extensive solubility in solids?

Extensive solubility in solids refers to the ability of a solid substance to dissolve and form a homogenous mixture with a solvent. This means that the solid particles are evenly distributed throughout the solvent, resulting in a clear and uniform solution.

2. How is extensive solubility different from intensive solubility?

Intensive solubility is a measure of the maximum amount of solute that can dissolve in a given amount of solvent at a specific temperature. It is independent of the amount of solvent, whereas extensive solubility depends on the amount of solvent present.

3. What factors affect extensive solubility in solids?

The main factors that affect extensive solubility in solids are temperature, pressure, and the chemical nature of the solute and solvent. Generally, higher temperatures and pressures increase solubility, while the polarity and molecular size of the substances also play a role.

4. How can extensive solubility be determined experimentally?

Extensive solubility can be determined by conducting a solubility experiment, where a known amount of solid is added to a fixed volume of solvent at a specific temperature. The solution is then stirred until no more solid dissolves, and the amount of solid remaining can be measured to calculate the solubility.

5. What are some practical applications of extensive solubility in solids?

Extensive solubility plays a crucial role in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and cosmetics. It is also essential in environmental studies, as it affects the transport and fate of contaminants in the environment. Additionally, extensive solubility is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of mixtures, solutions, and reactions in chemistry and biology.