Thin walled pressure vessel with external force

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of longitudinal and hoop stress equations to find the shear stress in a pressure vessel. The speaker is unsure about which equation to use and questions whether the external load will create shear stress. They also consider the possibility of another type of stress being caused by the gage pressure.
SteelDirigibl

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=46420&stc=1&d=1334881609.png

Homework Equations

σ=pr/t (hoop)

σ=pr/2t (longitudinal)

τ=VQ/It

The Attempt at a Solution

I have longitudinal stress and hoop stress. I'm trying to find shear stress, which should come only as a result of the 40kN from the collar correct? I'm confused with how I can get this on the pressure vessel. Would it be the same as if it were a simple rod?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-04-19 at 8.17.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-04-19 at 8.17.42 PM.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 796
  • Screen shot 2012-04-19 at 8.24.06 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-04-19 at 8.24.06 PM.png
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,451
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you want to use tau = VQ/It? Think again about this.

What sort of stress does the external load create in the pressure vessel?

It has to be shear stress doesn't it? The gage pressure doesn't cause any shear stress, right?

Does it cause another kind of stress too? Or am I just wrong? Can I get a multiple choice? :smile:

1. What is a thin-walled pressure vessel with external force?

A thin-walled pressure vessel with external force is a type of container that is designed to hold pressurized fluids or gases. It is called "thin-walled" because the thickness of the walls is much smaller compared to the vessel's overall size. The external force refers to any external load or force acting on the vessel, such as weight or pressure from the surrounding environment.

2. How is the stress in a thin-walled pressure vessel with external force calculated?

The stress in a thin-walled pressure vessel with external force can be calculated using the formula σ = Pr/t, where σ is the stress, P is the internal pressure, r is the radius of the vessel, and t is the thickness of the walls. This formula assumes that the vessel is made from a homogeneous material and that the walls are circular in shape.

3. What is the significance of the radius-to-thickness ratio in a thin-walled pressure vessel with external force?

The radius-to-thickness ratio, also known as the slenderness ratio, plays a critical role in determining the structural integrity of a thin-walled pressure vessel with external force. A higher ratio indicates that the walls are thinner in proportion to the vessel's size, which can lead to higher stress and potential failure. Therefore, it is essential to carefully consider this ratio during the design and construction of these vessels.

4. How does the external force affect the structural integrity of a thin-walled pressure vessel?

The external force, such as weight or pressure from the surrounding environment, can increase the stress on the walls of a thin-walled pressure vessel. If the stress exceeds the material's yield strength, it can cause the vessel to deform or fail. Therefore, it is crucial to consider the external force and its effects during the design and operation of these vessels.

5. What are some common applications of thin-walled pressure vessels with external force?

Thin-walled pressure vessels with external force have various applications in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and chemical processing. They are commonly used to store and transport pressurized fluids and gases, as well as for structural support in buildings and bridges. These vessels are also used in research and development to study the effects of high pressure on materials and substances.