Quantum Mechanics Books: Next Step for Beginners

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of studying quantum mechanics and the best resources for further learning. The individual is currently taking a course in modern physics and is interested in finding a rigorous resource that also provides an introduction to the math formalism, specifically the bra-ket notation. Suggestions are given for textbooks by Sakurai, Dirac, Griffiths, and Zettili. The individual expresses gratitude for the suggestions.
Rackhir
Hello everyone
I know that they are many threads already on this topic, but I'm still not convinced. I'm currently taking a course in modern physics, and, as i thought i would be, I'm fascinated with QM. Why I'm studyin engineering and not physics is something i don't have clear.
Anyway, my courses us the Eisberg-Resnick book, so it's quite introductory. So what should be my next step? something rigorous, but with a introduction on the math formalism (i'm quite blind in bra kets). I was thinking of Townsend "A moder approach to Quantum Mechanics", but i need a little more background i think, i am right?
My math background is four courses of analysis (real and complex calculus, DE) and two courses of linear algebra.
Regards and thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The classic book to transition out of modern physics is Griffiths. Griffiths is well known to have a nice conversational engaging style. And Chapter 3 gives you exactly what you want. Also he has appendices that fill in the rest of the mathematics that are pre-requisite. Alternatively, I'd like to suggest a text I discovered a recently that's really good, the author's name is Nouredine Zettili.

Thank both for the income. I'm guessing that Griffiths is the best choice now, although I'm still interested in Townsend or Sakurai. And i have to take a deeper look int Nouredine Zettili contents. Thanks!

Hello there,

It's great to hear that you are fascinated with quantum mechanics and are looking to dive deeper into the subject. I can understand your desire for a rigorous and mathematically-inclined approach to learning about quantum mechanics.

Based on your math background, I would recommend the book "Quantum Mechanics: A Modern Development" by Leslie E. Ballentine. This book covers the foundations of quantum mechanics and its mathematical formalism in a clear and concise manner. It also includes exercises and problems for you to practice and solidify your understanding.

Another great book for beginners is "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths. It is a well-written and easy-to-follow book that covers the basics of quantum mechanics, including the mathematical formalism, without assuming a strong background in math.

I would also suggest supplementing your reading with online resources and lectures, such as those available on platforms like Coursera or edX. These can provide visual aids and interactive exercises to help you better understand the concepts.

Remember, quantum mechanics is a complex and constantly evolving field, so don't be discouraged if you find some concepts difficult to grasp at first. Keep practicing and seeking out resources, and you will continue to deepen your understanding. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is "Quantum Mechanics"?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior and interactions of particles on a subatomic level, explaining the fundamental principles of matter and energy at the smallest scales.

2. Who can benefit from reading "Quantum Mechanics Books: Next Step for Beginners"?

Anyone with a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and a desire to expand their knowledge can benefit from reading "Quantum Mechanics Books: Next Step for Beginners." These books are designed to bridge the gap between beginner and advanced concepts in quantum mechanics.

3. How do "Quantum Mechanics Books: Next Step for Beginners" differ from other quantum mechanics books?

"Quantum Mechanics Books: Next Step for Beginners" are specifically geared towards readers who have a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and are looking to deepen their understanding of the subject. They typically cover more advanced topics and offer a more in-depth analysis of key principles.

4. Are "Quantum Mechanics Books: Next Step for Beginners" suitable for self-study?

Yes, "Quantum Mechanics Books: Next Step for Beginners" are suitable for self-study. However, it is recommended to have a strong foundation in basic quantum mechanics concepts before diving into these more advanced books.

5. What can readers expect to learn from "Quantum Mechanics Books: Next Step for Beginners"?

Readers can expect to learn about more advanced topics in quantum mechanics such as wave-particle duality, quantum entanglement, and quantum computing. They may also gain a deeper understanding of key principles and equations in quantum mechanics and how they are applied in real-world scenarios.