Circuit Potential and Voltage Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the potential at point D in a circuit with a 15-V battery connected to three capacitors in series with capacitances of 4.5microFarads, 12.0microFarads, and 32microFarads. The first step is to find the equivalent total capacitance and total charge. Then, the charge on each capacitor can be calculated and used to find the voltage on each capacitor. The conversation also mentions the importance of having a grounded point in order to accurately calculate absolute potential.
triplezero24
1. For http://www.pen.eiu.edu/~cuemc4/circuit.bmp [Broken] picture.. Calculate the potential at point D.

2. I 15-V battery is connected to three capacitors in series. The capacitors have the following capacitances: 4.5microFarads, 12.0microFarads, and 32microFarads. Find the voltage across the 32microFarad capacitor.

I am so lost. :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please? I'm desperate!

I couldn't open your first picture... I get a "server not found" message.

For the second one... first find the equivalent total capacitance (combine 3 capacitors in series). The find the total charge on this equivalent capacitor.

You should then be able to get the charge on each capacitor (hint: this is really simple... if you are unsure read your textbook regarding combining series and parallel capacitors), and then get the voltage on each capacitor.

http://www.pen.eiu.edu/~cuemc4/circuit.bmp [Broken]

That might work. Mak sure you're soomed in all the way or it won't look right. Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
New link doesn't work either.

I'll attatch it.

Attachments

• attatch.jpg
    attatch.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 331
Hmmm... absolute potential can't be calculated unless there's ground assigned somewhere. But I don't see one on the circuit. Are you sure the question asks for potential at D and not potential difference between 2 different points? Does the question mention about 0 volts being assigned somehwere?

Sorry. It says point A is grounded (V=0).

ok cool. So first find the current I in the circuit using KVL. So then you can get all the voltage drops across all the resistors (voltage drop across a resistor=current*resistance). Using that you should be able to find the potential at D. Be careful with signs!

Hope this helps!

1. What is a circuit and how does it work?

A circuit is a complete path through which electricity can flow. It consists of a source of electricity, such as a battery or power outlet, and conductors, such as wires, that connect the source to various components. When a circuit is closed or connected, electricity flows from the source through the conductors to power the components and back to the source.

2. What is the difference between a series and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, meaning that the current flows through each component in sequence. In a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple branches, meaning that the current can flow through each component simultaneously. This results in different amounts of current and voltage in each circuit type.

3. How do you calculate the total resistance of a circuit?

The total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the resistance of each individual component. In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is calculated by adding the reciprocals of each component's resistance and then taking the reciprocal of the sum.

4. What is the purpose of a circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a visual representation of a circuit, using standardized symbols to show the components and how they are connected. It is used to troubleshoot and analyze circuits, as well as to design and build new ones.

5. What factors can affect the performance of a circuit?

The performance of a circuit can be affected by factors such as the quality and type of components used, the length and thickness of wires, the temperature, and the presence of any faults or malfunctions. Changes in any of these factors can impact the flow of electricity and the overall functionality of the circuit.