Final concentrations unknown volume

In summary, "final concentrations unknown volume" refers to the situation where the final concentration of a solution is being determined, but the volume is not known. The final concentration of a solution can be calculated using the formula C1V1 = C2V2, and it is important to know the final concentration for accurate measurements and desired outcomes. Methods such as spectrophotometry, titration, and equations can be used to determine the final concentration even without knowing the volume, although having an accurate measurement of the volume is ideal.
keen55
Hi
I have a known volume of water with a known concentration of calcium.
I want to bring that volume up to a new (slightly) higher volume with a new (slightly) higher concentration. To do this I am adding a solution with a known concentration of Ca but cannot remember how to calculate the volume (of the second solution) I need to get to the final concentration. I cannot adjust the concentration of the second substance, I can only adjust the volume.
thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Use the equation: C1V1 = C2V2

1. What does "final concentrations unknown volume" mean?

"Final concentrations unknown volume" refers to a situation in which the final concentration of a solution is being determined, but the volume of the solution is not known. This may occur when a solution is being prepared and needs to be diluted to a certain concentration, or when analyzing a sample and trying to determine its concentration.

2. How is the final concentration of a solution calculated when the volume is unknown?

The final concentration of a solution can be calculated using the formula C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 and V1 represent the initial concentration and volume, and C2 and V2 represent the final concentration and volume. If the volume is unknown, the equation can be rearranged to solve for V2, which will give the final volume needed to achieve the desired concentration.

3. Why is it important to know the final concentration of a solution?

Knowing the final concentration of a solution is important for many reasons. It allows for accurate and precise measurements when conducting experiments or preparing solutions. It also ensures that the desired concentration is achieved, which can affect the outcome of the experiment or the effectiveness of the solution.

4. What methods can be used to determine the final concentration of a solution with an unknown volume?

There are several methods that can be used to determine the final concentration of a solution with an unknown volume. These include using a spectrophotometer to measure the absorbance of the solution, conducting a titration with a known concentration of a solution, or using mathematical equations such as the dilution formula or the Beer-Lambert Law.

5. Can the final concentration of a solution be accurately determined without knowing the volume?

Yes, the final concentration of a solution can still be accurately determined even if the volume is unknown. This can be achieved by using one of the methods mentioned in the previous question, as long as the initial concentration and volume are known. However, it is always best to have an accurate measurement of the volume to ensure the most precise results.