Using compass, construct 1 deg arc on a circle, if 19 deg arc of this circle is given

In summary, to construct a 1 degree arc on a circle using only a compass, one can use the Mohr-Mascheroni theorem which states that a compass and straight edge can be constructed. Using this theorem, one can draw a circle with the center at the vertex of the angle and measure a chord of 19 degrees, then add it to the original chord 18 times, resulting in an angle of 361 degrees. By superimposing this angle onto the 19 degree angle, one can then subtract to get a 1 degree angle, which corresponds to a 1 degree arc on the circle.
mishaark
Exercise #27 from a textbook called Kiselev's Geometry / Book I. Planimetry:

Using only compass, construct a 1 degree arc on a circle, if a 19 degree arc of this circle is given.Please, check my reasoning on this one. I just want to make sure that I'm getting it right.

My solution:
Using a pair of compasses, we can only divide an angle in half. So long as we are given a 19 degree arc, we cannot really apply this method because we will end up having angles with fractional parts. But if we take a 19 degree angle 10 times we will get the angle of 190 degrees which we can divide in half and get an 80 degree angle, which in turn divided in half will give us a 40 degree angle, which again divided in half will give us a 20 degree angle. Now we can superimpose this 20 degree angle onto the 19 degree angle, which will give us by subtraction a 1 degree angle, that is a 1 degree arc.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi mishaark! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have a degree: ° :wink:)
mishaark said:
… we will get the angle of 190 degrees which we can divide in half and get an 80 degree angle …

you haven't actually said how you get from 190° to 80° :wink:

(but isn't there an easy way of getting 18° ?)

You can make a 15 degree angle also by dividing a 60 degree angle twice then subtract it from 19. Then divide the remainder twice.

coolul007 said:
You can make a 15 degree angle also by dividing a 60 degree angle twice then subtract it from 19. Then divide the remainder twice.

In order to divide angle by 2 required compass and straight, thus none of the solutions above will satisfy condition to use compass only.

My solution is to draw circle with center at the vertex of the angle. Using compass measure chord of 19 degrees and add it to the original chord 18 times the result angle is 19*19 = 361 degrees from original point. The rest is obvious.

Likes mfb, olivermsun and jbriggs444
According to this Mohr–Mascheroni theorem one can use compass only if compass and straight edge can be constructed.

Likes mfb
Alexander Glauberzon said:
In order to divide angle by 2 required compass and straight, thus none of the solutions above will satisfy condition to use compass only.

My solution is to draw circle with center at the vertex of the angle. Using compass measure chord of 19 degrees and add it to the original chord 18 times the result angle is 19*19 = 361 degrees from original point. The rest is obvious.
Yup, I think you have the correct solution. For construction the problem gives you a 19° arc of the circle, so all you have to do is "copy" the arc around the circle with your compass.

1. How do I use a compass to construct a 1 degree arc on a circle?

To construct a 1 degree arc on a circle, you will need to use a compass and a protractor. Begin by drawing a circle with the given 19 degree arc. Then, place the tip of the compass on the point where the 19 degree arc intersects the circle. Adjust the compass to a radius of your choice, and draw an arc that intersects the circle at two points. Using a protractor, measure the angle between the two points where the arc intersects the circle. Adjust the compass to this angle and draw an arc from one of the intersection points. This will create a 1 degree arc on the circle.

2. Can I construct a 1 degree arc on a circle without a protractor?

While it is possible to construct a 1 degree arc on a circle without a protractor, it may be more difficult and less accurate. Instead of using a protractor to measure the angle between the two points where the arc intersects the circle, you can use a ruler to estimate the angle and adjust the compass accordingly. However, using a protractor will ensure a more precise construction.

3. How can I ensure the 1 degree arc is accurately constructed?

To ensure the 1 degree arc is accurately constructed, it is important to use a compass with a fine point and a protractor for precise measurements. Additionally, it is helpful to draw the circle and arcs on a clean and flat surface to avoid any errors in measurement. Taking your time and double checking your measurements can also help ensure accuracy.

4. Can I construct a 1 degree arc on a circle of any size?

Yes, you can construct a 1 degree arc on a circle of any size. The process is the same regardless of the size of the circle. However, it may be easier to construct a 1 degree arc on a larger circle as the angles will be easier to measure and adjust with a protractor.

5. Are there alternative methods for constructing a 1 degree arc on a circle?

Yes, there are alternative methods for constructing a 1 degree arc on a circle. One method is to use a compass and straightedge to construct a 60 degree angle, and then divide that angle into 60 equal parts to create a 1 degree angle. Another method is to use a protractor to measure and mark a 1 degree angle, and then use a compass to draw an arc from that point on the circle.