BJT differential amplifier, small signal analysis

In summary: I disagree with output impedance of a single CE amplifier is not equal ro/(β+1). As for differential output impedance Rout = (2Rc*ro)/(Rc + ro) Yes, that is correct.
eliotsbowe
Hello, I'm having some issues with small-signal analysis of BJT differential amplifiers.

Let's say I have this BJT differential pair and suppose that Q1 and Q2 perfectly match: http://i50.tinypic.com/14ahdgn.jpg

Suppose a small differential input is applied and consider the small–signal equivalent circuit:
2eajod3.jpg

Having two opposite-phase inputs with the same amplitude ([itex]\frac{v_d}{2} , - \frac{v_d}{2}[/itex]) makes the potential of the emitter E stuck at its initial value.

My book says that:
- If the potential of E is stuck at its value, then E can be considered as a ground point for the small-signal circuit;
- If E is grounded, then every point the two circuits have in common is grounded; this means that the two circuits become totally independent one from each other and I can solve the small-signal circuit of Q1 and Q2 separately;

Can anyone please explain me the reason for these two statements?

One last question: both small-signal circuits of Q1 and Q2 have an input impedance [itex]r_\pi[/itex] and an output impedance Rc || [itex]r_o[/itex].
What's the input/output impedance of the whole differential pair?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thanks. I managed to solve the first two questions and I found something I was looking for in the pdf you've linked.

Now there's one pending question: what's the input/output impedance of the differential couple?

I mean: if I connect some circuit component to the two inputs of the differential amplifier, what impedance is the component going to "see"?

Don't quote me on this as it's been a long time. I believe is [itex] 2βr_e=2\frac β {g_m}\;[/itex]. The emitter of one transistor only see the [itex]r_e\;[/itex] of the other, assuming the tail resistor is much higher resistance.

Well, thanks for trying, but I'm interested in the procedure to find the two impedances!

I am pretty sure it is correct, input impedance of diff pair is not low. It become high impedance only when you add negative feedback and move the other side to follow the input.

Think about a normal diff pair in an opamp, the tail current say is 10uA. So it is 5uA each.

[tex] r_e=1/gm= \frac {V_T}{I_c}≈\frac {25mV}{5\mu A}=5000,\;\; β=100\;\Rightarrow 2β r_e= 1MΩ[/tex]

That is in the ball part of the input impedance of some opamp when it is open loop. The impedance only get higher due to negative feedback.

Last edited:
eliotsbowe,

Now there's one pending question: what's the input/output impedance of the differential couple?

I mean: if I connect some circuit component to the two inputs of the differential amplifier, what impedance is the component going to "see"?

You can tell just from inspection of the schemat what the impedances will be. Assuming ro is very high, the input circuit goes through the two r_pi resistors, so the impedance will be 2*r_pi. The output impedance is 2*Rc by inspection if ro is very large. Otherwise I would think it would be 2*Rc||ro/(β+1), because the output impedance of a single CE transistor diminishes by ro/(β+1)

Ratch

I disagree with output impedance of a single CE amplifier is not equal ro/(β+1).
As for differential output impedance Rout = (2Rc*ro)/(Rc + ro)

Okay, I think I got it.
Just one thing: to compute the input impedance of a circuit, I usually disconnect the signal generator and its own resistance and replace it with a test generator, let's say a voltage generator Vx. The input impedance is defined as Vx / Ix , where Ix is the current flowing through the generator.

If I want to apply this method to the differential pair, I guess I should disconnect both [itex]\frac{v_d}{2}[/itex] and [itex]-\frac{v_d}{2}[/itex] (and the two [itex]R_s[/itex] resistors) and replace them with a test generator connected between the positive terminals of the two [itex]r_\pi[/itex] resistors.
Is this right?

Yes, you use this circuit to find Rin
attachment.php?attachmentid=50889&stc=1&d=1347795670.jpg

And this one to find Rout
attachment.php?attachmentid=50890&stc=1&d=1347795705.jpg

And from this diagram when we assume full symmetry. From the inspection we can see that
Rout = Vt/It = 2Rc||2ro

Attachments

• 2ea.JPG
    2ea.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 1,003
  • 2eaj.JPG
    2eaj.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 983
Last edited:
Ok, thanks!

Jony130,

Sorry I did not get back sooner.

I disagree with output impedance of a single CE amplifier is not equal ro/(β+1).
As for differential output impedance Rout = (2Rc*ro)/(Rc + ro)

Yes, you are correct. The output impedance of a CE is ro/(β+1) only if it is driven by a current source. Otherwise, in this voltage driven case, it is ro as you pointed out.

Ratch

1. What is a BJT differential amplifier?

A BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) differential amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that amplifies the difference between two input signals. It is commonly used in applications where high gain and high linearity are required, such as in audio amplifiers and instrumentation circuits.

2. How does a BJT differential amplifier work?

A BJT differential amplifier typically consists of two bipolar transistors connected in a differential configuration, with an emitter resistor and a collector load resistor for each transistor. When an input signal is applied to one of the transistors, it causes a corresponding change in its collector current, which is then amplified by the other transistor. The output is the amplified difference between the two input signals.

3. What is small signal analysis in BJT differential amplifiers?

Small signal analysis is a method used to analyze the behavior of electronic circuits, including BJT differential amplifiers, under small variations in input signals. It involves using linear approximations to the nonlinear transfer characteristics of transistors, making the analysis simpler and more accurate.

4. What are the key parameters of a BJT differential amplifier?

The key parameters of a BJT differential amplifier include the differential gain, which is the amplification of the difference between the input signals, the common-mode gain, which is the amplification of the average of the input signals, and the input and output resistances, which affect the overall gain and input/output impedance of the circuit.

5. How can I improve the performance of a BJT differential amplifier?

There are several ways to improve the performance of a BJT differential amplifier, such as using transistors with higher gain and linearity, optimizing the values of resistors and capacitors in the circuit, and using feedback techniques to reduce distortion and increase stability. It is also important to minimize parasitic effects and ensure proper biasing of the transistors for optimal performance.