Relation between phase velocity and group velocity

In summary, the group velocity is related to the derivative of phase velocity, but it is not equal to the derivative and does not make sense dimensionally. The exact relationship can be found through direct calculation rather than looking it up.
iVenky
I know the physical meaning of phase as well as the group velocity.

I want to know the mathematical relationship between the phase velocity and group velocity.

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the definitions, you can easily find a relationship.

nasu said:
If you know the definitions, you can easily find a relationship.

It looks as if the group velocity is the derivative of phase velocity but I don't think I am correct.

What's the exact relationship?

Thanks a lot.

iVenky said:
It looks as if the group velocity is the derivative of phase velocity but I don't think I am correct.
The group velocity can be related to the derivative of phase velocity (in respect to k or λ
). It is not just equal to the derivative, it won't even make sens dimensionally. What relationship did you find?

nasu said:
The group velocity can be related to the derivative of phase velocity (in respect to k or λ
). It is not just equal to the derivative, it won't even make sens dimensionally. What relationship did you find?

Could not find anything.

iVenky said:
Could not find anything.
I did not mean to look it up but to find it by direct calculation.

1. What is the difference between phase velocity and group velocity?

Phase velocity refers to the speed at which the phase of a wave travels, while group velocity refers to the speed at which the energy of a wave travels.

2. How are phase velocity and group velocity related?

The relation between phase velocity and group velocity is given by the equation vp = vg/k, where vp is the phase velocity, vg is the group velocity, and k is the wave number. This means that the phase velocity is inversely proportional to the wave number.

3. What is the significance of the relation between phase velocity and group velocity?

The relation between phase velocity and group velocity is important because it helps us understand the behavior of waves. For example, when the phase velocity is greater than the group velocity, it means that the wave is traveling in a dispersive medium where different frequencies travel at different speeds. On the other hand, when the phase velocity and group velocity are equal, it means that the wave is traveling at a constant speed, such as in a non-dispersive medium.

4. How does the relation between phase velocity and group velocity affect wave phenomena?

The relation between phase velocity and group velocity plays a crucial role in various wave phenomena, such as interference, diffraction, and refraction. It also helps us understand the behavior of waves in different mediums, such as in optics and acoustics.

5. Can the phase velocity be greater than the speed of light?

No, the phase velocity cannot be greater than the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object or information can travel. Therefore, the phase velocity of a wave cannot exceed the speed of light.