When is computer visions PhD required?

In summary, the conversation discusses the decision of an undergraduate EE student on whether to accept an engineering embedded position or pursue a career in fields such as augmented reality, image recognition, or computer graphics. The student is unsure if a PhD is required for R&D positions in these fields and how accepting the engineering position will affect their prospects. The response suggests that a bare minimum requirement would be extensive real-world or academic experience, but a Master's degree may be preferred.
lukuss1
Hi,

Looking for some assistance on a decision. I'm an undergraudate EE student completing an extension to my industrial year in RF. I have the opportunity to accept an engineering embedded position on graduation however am swayed towards augmented reality, image recognition or computer graphics.

My question: If I am to pursue an R&D position in these fields (e.g. architecture design for physics engines) are PhD's required? Furthermore does anyone know what the prospects are like in these fields? Also how will accepting this offer effect my prospects.

Thanks for any help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Those tend to be grad-level CS courses although usually undergrads can take them. A bare minimum would be extensive real-world experience or academic experience. I doubt a PhD is required but a MS probably is.

1. When should I pursue a PhD in computer vision?

A PhD in computer vision is typically pursued after completing a Bachelor's and Master's degree in a related field, such as computer science or electrical engineering. It is also important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, programming, and computer vision concepts before pursuing a PhD.

2. What are the career opportunities with a PhD in computer vision?

A PhD in computer vision can open up a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as robotics, autonomous vehicles, healthcare, and entertainment. Graduates can also pursue academic or research positions in universities and research institutions.

3. How long does it take to complete a PhD in computer vision?

The duration of a PhD in computer vision can vary depending on the individual's pace and the research topic. On average, it takes 4-5 years to complete a PhD program, which includes coursework, research, and thesis writing.

4. What skills are required for a PhD in computer vision?

To pursue a PhD in computer vision, one should have a strong background in mathematics, programming languages such as C++, Python, and MATLAB, and image processing techniques. Additionally, skills in machine learning and deep learning are becoming increasingly important in the field of computer vision.

5. What are the research areas in computer vision for a PhD?

Some common research areas in computer vision for a PhD include object recognition and detection, image and video analysis, 3D reconstruction, and motion analysis. Other emerging areas of research include augmented reality, virtual reality, and human-computer interaction.