Aerospace and Mechanical engineering

In summary, the individual is currently deciding on what subjects to study in preparation for university. They are considering physics, chemistry, and math, but also want to have a backup option in case they decide to pursue medicine. They are also interested in aerospace engineering, but have been discouraged by someone who believes there are few job opportunities in this field and that they would struggle to find work outside of the US. They are wondering if it is possible to study both aerospace and mechanical engineering, and if it is necessary to be a genius to handle the workload. It is suggested that they consider majoring in mechanical engineering and minoring in aerospace, as there is a lot of overlap in the curriculum and it is possible to work in the aerospace industry with a
MarsProbe1
So I have a couple years before I go off to university but I'm picking subjects to study right now. I'd like to do phys/chem/maths but I feel like I should have bio in case I decide to go for med.

However, I'm trying to convince myself that it's pointless but an answer to this question might help.

I'm interested in studying aerospace engineering but a guy I was speaking too convinced me that their aren't many jobs available and being not from the US, I wouldn't be able to get a job (say in defense-though really I want to be sending probes to other worlds).

Anyways, mechanical seems safer but I don't want to give up my dreams that easily. Is it possible to do both Aerospace and Mechanical at the same time? That same guy convinced me that I'd need to be Einstein in order to not crumble under the pressure. Is this true?

Thanks, I'd gladly give more information if anyone's curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
MarsProbe1 said:
So I have a couple years before I go off to university but I'm picking subjects to study right now. I'd like to do phys/chem/maths but I feel like I should have bio in case I decide to go for med.

However, I'm trying to convince myself that it's pointless but an answer to this question might help.

I'm interested in studying aerospace engineering but a guy I was speaking too convinced me that their aren't many jobs available and being not from the US, I wouldn't be able to get a job (say in defense-though really I want to be sending probes to other worlds).

Anyways, mechanical seems safer but I don't want to give up my dreams that easily. Is it possible to do both Aerospace and Mechanical at the same time? That same guy convinced me that I'd need to be Einstein in order to not crumble under the pressure. Is this true?

Thanks, I'd gladly give more information if anyone's curious.

This has been covered before, but aerospace engineers actually take a lot of courses from the mechanical engineering department. You'd do well to just major in mechanical engineering and minor in aerospace if that's an option. Here's what NC States curriculum looks like for both aerospace and mechanical engineering.

Mechanical Engineering:

http://www.mae.ncsu.edu/pdfs/14ME097.pdf

Aerospace Engineering:

http://http://www.mae.ncsu.edu/pdfs/14AE097.pdf

If you notice the curriculums have a lot of overlap. They also have a minor in Aerospace engineering, the point is you can still work in the aerospace industry with a mechanical engineering degree.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between aerospace and mechanical engineering?

Aerospace engineering focuses on designing and developing aircraft and spacecraft, while mechanical engineering deals with designing and producing mechanical systems and tools.

2. What are some common career paths for those with a degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering?

Some common career paths for aerospace engineers include working in aircraft or spacecraft design, propulsion systems, or aerospace research. Mechanical engineers can work in industries such as automotive, manufacturing, or robotics.

3. What are the key skills needed for a successful career in aerospace or mechanical engineering?

Some key skills for success in these fields include strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and proficiency in computer-aided design software. Additionally, effective communication and teamwork skills are important for working on complex projects.

4. What advancements are expected in the field of aerospace and mechanical engineering in the future?

In the future, advancements in materials and technologies such as 3D printing are expected to greatly impact the aerospace and mechanical engineering industries. Additionally, there will likely be a continued focus on sustainability and energy efficiency in these fields.

5. How can I prepare for a degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering?

To prepare for a degree in these fields, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and science courses, such as calculus, physics, and chemistry. Additionally, participating in extracurricular activities or internships related to engineering can provide valuable hands-on experience and help you determine your specific interests within the field.