Report Bad Posts: What Counts as Posting?

• Thread starter Bystander
  • Start date
In summary, reporting a bad post has always counted as a post on this forum. This is because the "Report..." button creates a post in a private forum that only moderators can see. Even in the past when only posts with specific content were counted, reports were still included. This is because each report generates a discussion thread with multiple posts, which takes time and effort from the reporting member. Misuse of the report function will be addressed.
Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Since when does reporting a bad post count as posting?

Physics news on Phys.org
For as long as I remember.

Probably because in most standard forum software packages, all the "Report..." button does is make a post in a private forum that only the moderators have access to.
So you can't see it, but it does count as a post.

Likes 1 person
OK --- there really was a time when Greg had things set up to count ONLY posts with "phys/sci content;" GD, lounges, and such weren't included. But, I ain't been here lately, so...

From what I know reports were counted even then.

Likes 1 person
I agree with Borek; in the five years that I have been a Mentor, reports have always been included in the post count.

As CompuChip has noted, each new report generates a discussion thread in a hidden forum, and all the posts in the discussion thread, not just the initial report, are included in the post count.

Likes 1 person
Reports have always counted, and they should, it takes time and effort for a member to report a post, it is a benefit to the forum. Of course members that misuse the report function will be dealt with.

1. What is considered a "bad" post?

A "bad" post can refer to any content that violates the community guidelines or terms of service of a website or social media platform. This can include posts that are offensive, abusive, spam, or contain inappropriate or illegal content.

2. Are there specific types of content that should always be reported?

While it ultimately depends on the platform's guidelines, some common types of content that should be reported include hate speech, threats or violence, harassment, and graphic or explicit content. It's always best to err on the side of caution and report any content that makes you feel uncomfortable or violates the platform's rules.

3. Can I report posts that I simply disagree with?

No, reporting a post solely because you disagree with its content or opinion is not a valid reason for reporting. The purpose of reporting is to flag content that is explicitly against the platform's guidelines or terms of service.

4. How do I report a post?

Most platforms have a designated "report" or "flag" button that you can click on to report a post. This is often located in the menu next to the post or in the post's options. You may be asked to provide a reason for your report and may have the option to include additional information or screenshots.

5. Will my report remain anonymous?

Yes, your report will typically remain anonymous. Platforms may ask for your personal information when reporting a post, but this is solely for their records and will not be shared with the person whose post you are reporting.