Thread and username just vanished?

• Thread starter bahamagreen
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a user's experience with trying to reply to a thread on the Physics Forums website. They encountered an error message and were unable to find the thread or the user who posted it. The thread in question was about a probability puzzle involving a three-way duel and the user "superduper" was involved. The conversation also touches on the forum's rules regarding schoolwork posts and how they are handled by moderators.
bahamagreen
I was replying to a thread and when I went to submit I got the message that the thread was invalid. I could use my "Back" navigation arrow in the browser to confirm it "was" there... A search did not find the thread nor the username that posted the thread.

Did I see a ghost?

Was in the Physics Forums > Mathematics > Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics... was the most recently subitted thread there.

Was about a probability puzzle involving a three way duel with the participants having different probabilites of being on target... user was "superduper" I think...

Physics news on Phys.org
bahamagreen said:
I was replying to a thread and when I went to submit I got the message that the thread was invalid. I could use my "Back" navigation arrow in the browser to confirm it "was" there... A search did not find the thread nor the username that posted the thread.

Did I see a ghost?

Was in the Physics Forums > Mathematics > Set Theory, Logic, Probability, Statistics... was the most recently subitted thread there.

Was about a probability puzzle involving a three way duel with the participants having different probabilites of being on target... user was "superduper" I think...

The post appeared like it could be for schoolwork, and the poster showed no effort at working out the answer. Such posts are routinely deleted here at the PF, since posting schoolwork outside of the Homework Help forums is against the rules, especially when no effort is shown at solving the problem.

Hopefully the user will re-post the question in the HH/Pre-Calculus Math forum, and you will be able to reply to it there. :smile:

BTW, if you see a post outside of the HH forums that looks like it could be schoolwork, please click the Report button on the post so that the Mentors can check it out. If they've shown a lot of work on the question, it will probably just get moved to the HH forums. If they show zero effort in trying to solve the problem, it will most likely get deleted and the OP told to repost in HH with effort shown.

This thread here explains why we handle such posts this way:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=373889

1. What is a thread and username?

A thread is a sequence of messages or comments on a particular topic or discussion. A username is a unique name or identifier used to represent a specific user on a website or platform.

2. Why would a thread and username vanish?

There could be a few possible reasons for a thread and username disappearing. It could be due to a technical issue, such as a glitch or error in the system. It could also be because the thread was deleted by the user or by a moderator. Lastly, the thread and username could have been removed due to violation of the platform's terms of service.

3. Can a thread and username be recovered?

It depends on the reason for their disappearance. If it was a technical issue, then it may be possible for the platform's administrators to restore the thread and username. However, if it was deleted intentionally, it may not be possible to recover them.

4. How can I prevent my thread and username from vanishing?

To prevent your thread and username from vanishing, make sure to follow the platform's guidelines and terms of service. Avoid posting inappropriate or offensive content, as this can lead to your thread and username being deleted. It's also a good idea to regularly back up any important threads or comments.

5. Is there a way to report a missing thread and username?

Yes, most platforms have a customer support or help center where you can report any issues or concerns, including a missing thread and username. You can also reach out to the platform's moderators or administrators for assistance.