Time Dilation: An Overview of an Experiment

In summary, the twin paradox is an issue in physics where two observers who are moving relative to one another think that one of the observers is moving in slow motion relative to the other.
Commando Spaz
Hello,
It is my understanding that in the case of two observers (A and B) passing each other at high speeds that due to time dilation observer A would be moving in slow motion with respect to observer B, whereas observer B would be moving in slow motion relative to observer A (i.e. each observer perceives the other to be moving in slow motion). If this is incorrect stop me here and explain how so.

It is also my understanding that the effect of time dilation has been observed in an experiment in which one atomic clock remained in a fixed position whilst another was flown around the world (I know I'm simplifying this but there's no need for unnecessary complication). From this experiment the effect of time dilation was observed in that the clock which had traveled the world read a time which was behind that of the clock which had remained stationary (relative to us).

However, the clock fixed to Earth had moved with respect to the clock on the plane. Thus, if the information in the first paragraph is correct then does it not stand to reason that when the the two clocks were compared that for the people who had been on the plane, the clock that had been fixed to Earth was the one which was behind? Would this mean that the people who had been on Earth (us) had one reality whereas the people who had been on the plane had another? each observing the clock which had moved relative to them to be behind?

Any help clarifying this will be appreciated, Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Commando Spaz said:
Any help clarifying this will be appreciated, Thanks

This is the classic twin paradox. There's a pretty decent explanation at http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/TwinParadox/twin_paradox.html; read it and come back here if you have further questions.

You can also search this forum for "twin paradox"; there's a lot of stuff already here.

[edit: fixed broken link]

Last edited:
Likes 1 person

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass at different rates for objects moving at different speeds in relation to one another.

How is time dilation measured?

Time dilation is measured using an experiment called the "twin paradox," in which one twin stays on Earth while the other travels at high speeds in a spaceship. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged slower than the twin on Earth, demonstrating time dilation.

What causes time dilation?

Time dilation is caused by the theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all non-accelerating observers. This means that time can appear to pass differently for different observers depending on their relative velocities.

How does time dilation impact everyday life?

The effects of time dilation are only noticeable at extremely high speeds, such as those reached by objects in space. In everyday life, the effects of time dilation are so minimal that they are not noticeable.

Is time dilation a proven theory?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through numerous experiments, including the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971 and the more recent experiments conducted with atomic clocks on airplanes. Time dilation is a fundamental aspect of the theory of relativity and is widely accepted by the scientific community.