Molecular nutrition- health and desease- any good books?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a chemistry and molecular nutrition book that covers topics such as chemical and metabolic pathways in the body, the role of vitamins and minerals, and the physiology of diseases and their effects on the body. The book should also include figures and be scientifically accurate. Suggestions include an introductory biochemistry text and a physiology text such as Stryer or Saladin.
christian0710
Hi, I'm very interested in understanding how molecules in nutrition play a role in sustaining the human body so I'm looking for some good chemistry/molecular nutrition book describing some of the following:

*The chemical and metabolic pathways taking place in the body (such as glykolysis, eye pigment synthesis, bone formation etc.)
*What role vitamins and minerals play in the body.
*Human physicology/biochemistry which is required to get a good picture of some important chemical processees taking place in the body.
* A book desribing the physiology of human diesease how it impairs the body to function properly.

I'd love for the book to include a good amount of figures, and of course to be scientific - not stating unproven theories as facts but as a suggestion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like you want an intro Biochemistry text (there is a free one, Stryer I think, online at the National Library of Medicine: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/) and a Physiology text. You can try to look for a Physiology text at the link above but I don't know of one off hand. For my Anatomy & Physiology course we used Saladin (I think). This was 6 years ago and I don't have the book in my tiny apartment so I can't say for sure. But I do remember it as a good book, clear and concise with good figures etc.

1. What is the difference between molecular nutrition and traditional nutrition?

Molecular nutrition focuses on the study of how individual molecules in food affect the body's metabolism and health. Traditional nutrition, on the other hand, looks at the overall composition of food and its impact on the body. Molecular nutrition takes a more detailed and specific approach, while traditional nutrition takes a broader view.

2. How does molecular nutrition impact our overall health and disease risk?

Molecular nutrition plays a crucial role in our overall health by influencing the body's metabolic processes and the functioning of cells. It can affect our risk of developing various diseases, such as obesity, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseases, by altering gene expression and cellular functions.

3. Are there any good books on molecular nutrition and its role in health and disease?

Yes, there are several good books on molecular nutrition that cover topics such as nutrient-gene interactions, molecular mechanisms of disease, and the role of nutrition in preventing and treating various health conditions. Some recommended titles include "Molecular Nutrition and Diabetes: A Volume in the Molecular Nutrition Series" by Didac Mauricio and "Molecular Nutrition: Vitamins and Amino Acids" by Vinood B. Patel.

4. What are some current areas of research in molecular nutrition?

Some current areas of research in molecular nutrition include the role of specific nutrients in gene expression, the impact of dietary patterns on chronic diseases, and the use of nutrigenomics to personalize nutrition recommendations based on an individual's genetics. Other topics of interest include the gut microbiome's influence on nutrient absorption and how food components can modulate cellular signaling pathways.

5. How can understanding molecular nutrition help us make better dietary choices?

By understanding the molecular mechanisms of how food components affect our bodies, we can make more informed dietary choices that can improve our overall health and reduce our risk of disease. For example, knowing how certain nutrients influence gene expression can help us tailor our diet to meet our unique needs, and understanding how different foods impact cellular functions can guide us towards making healthier food choices.