Linear Algebra Books: Recommendations and Benefits

• Thread starter BiGyElLoWhAt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about finding a recommended linear algebra book. The person is a calculus 3 student and wants to get into linear algebra, but is unsure if they will have time to take it next semester. They have a strong math background and have run into situations where knowledge of matrices and eigenvalues is required. The conversation suggests trying Lang's "Introduction to Linear Algebra" or "Linear Algebra", as well as "Linear Algebra Done Wrong" which is available for free.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
I'm thinking about stopping at the library and getting a linear algebra book, but there are so many! I'm sure each with their own benefits, but which ones would people like to recommend? (and why please?)
I typed linear algebra into my IUCAT (IPFW), and it turned up this:
(series of books, all titled linear algebra)
AUTHORS:
Allenby R.B.J.T. (1995)
Berberian, Sterling K. (1992)
Peterson, Pete-1962 (2012)(not sure what the 1962 is...)
Jones, Burton Wadsworth (1973)
Ok, I just realized there's 17 pages worth of these.
Any recommendations from here or elsewhere?
I have a strong math background (at least I feel I do), I'm a calc 3 student right now, but I want to get into linear algebra, as I'm not sure I'll be able to take it next semester. I'm going to take diff eq first, if I have time to take both, I will, but it all depends on scheduling. I keep running into things that require me to know about matrices and eigenvalues and blah blah blah insert random linear algebra termonology here... in order to understand the material that I'm reading, and honestly it's quite frustrating. I just don't want to get a book to find out it sucks. Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks in advance
--BYH

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't go wrong with Lang here. Try Lang's "Introduction to Linear Algebra". Or if you find that too easy, try his "Linear Algebra" which is more complete and challenging.

Another good reference is Linear Algebra Done Wrong, which is freely available: http://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html

1. What is linear algebra and why is it important?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It is important because it provides the foundation for many areas of mathematics, physics, engineering, and computer science. It also has numerous practical applications in fields such as data science, machine learning, and cryptography.

2. What are some recommended books for learning linear algebra?

Some popular books for learning linear algebra include "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole, "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, and "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler. These books are highly praised for their clear explanations and comprehensive coverage of the subject.

3. Are there any benefits to studying linear algebra?

Studying linear algebra can improve critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities. It also helps in understanding and analyzing complex systems, which is useful in many fields. Additionally, knowledge of linear algebra is necessary for advanced studies in mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. What level of mathematics is required for studying linear algebra?

A basic understanding of algebra and calculus is necessary for studying linear algebra. Some prior knowledge of matrices and vectors is also helpful, but not required. Many introductory linear algebra books also include a brief review of the necessary mathematical concepts.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning linear algebra?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning linear algebra, such as lecture notes, video lectures, and interactive tutorials. Some recommended websites include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Linear Algebra Toolkit. These resources can be helpful for supplementing textbook learning or for self-study.