Best QM Textbook Recommendations for Self-Study

In summary: Any suggestions?Thanks,Chris ManessBrant Carlson's videos are a great resource. I especially like the way he keeps things concise and practical. Griffith's is a great textbook, but Carlson's videos are a great supplement.
kq6up
I am starting to review to go back to grad school. One topic I didn't feel like I did so hot in as an undergrad is QM. I want to go through a textbook myself. I was thinking about "Principles of Quantum Mechanics, 2nd Edition" by Ravi Shankar. Are other books that might be good for me or better than this text? I am also going through Mary Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences". I am enjoying the challenge and starting chapter three (Linear Algebra). I had never had a linear algebra class before I took QM and I feel like that was a disadvantage.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Physics news on Phys.org
Zettili is an excellent choice for self study in my opinion. The text has a large selection of solved problems that greatly aid independent study.

Likes 1 person
I don't think it's very useful as a physicist to read pure math books. But I always like to make an exception for linear algebra. The pure theory behind mathematics is very powerful and it will actually allow you to understand the physics better. If you know linear algebra well, then the entire mathematical formalism of QM (like bra-kets and operators as observables) becomes a breeze and you can focus on the physics.

So I recommend you to get a pure math book in linear algebra and work through it. I really like "Linear Algebra Done Wrong" which is freely available here: http://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html
Especially the later chapters are very useful to physics (inner-product spaces, dual spaces, spectral theory, etc.) The fact that you already know QM in some way or another will help you to figure out the math too.

I can't really give you much advice on QM textbooks, but Ballentine certainly is a nice choice. The first chapter covers the mathematical prerequisites, and this chapter might be quite rough (certainly if you don't know linear algebra!). But once you're passed that, the book contains quite some beautiful stuff.

So, what I recommend is to read the "LA done wrong" text, together with perhaps a text like Zettili. And after that, you should be somewhat ready for Ballentine.

Likes 2 people
That is a good point. Especially if I can't find a solution manual for Shankar. I have the SM for Boas. It has helped immensely. I was posting in the homework section for that one constantly until I got the SM.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

kq6up said:
That is a good point. Especially if I can't find a solution manual for Shankar. I have the SM for Boas. It has helped immensely. I was posting in the homework section for that one constantly until I got the SM.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Now, I got nothing against Boas. It's a great book. But I get the feeling it's a bit too easy for somebody who is going to grad school. The book is actually meant for freshmen or sophomore in mathematics.

Now, if you think you can get a lot out of Boas, then fine. But I just think there are other books that are more suitable for you and where you can get even more out of than from Boas.

Likes 1 person
It has been a good work out, and recommended me by the grad advisor. It is recommended for students going from lower devision to upper division. I have been out of school for 15 years. I have been teaching in my subject area and keeping my calculus strong by challenging myself with problem every so often, so I am not totally off my game.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

kq6up said:
It has been a good work out, and recommended me by the grad advisor. It is recommended for students going from lower devision to upper division. I have been out of school for 15 years. I have been teaching in my subject area and keeping my calculus strong by challenging myself with problem every so often, so I am not totally off my game.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Well, like I said: if you think you can get a lot out of it, then do continue with the book! Boas is a very well-written text, so no problem there!

Do check out my linear algebra text. I think it might be very beneficial to you anyway!

kq6up said:
Any suggestions?

Zettilli and Sakurai-you won't need anything else for a while; Zettilli is my most favorite QM text. Don't worry about the math, just focus on the physics and pick up the math you need at each bump in the road.

Likes 1 person
I stumbled on an excellent series of YouTube videos by Brant Carlson for undergrad QM. His method is very clear and concise. It kind of reminds me of Richard Feynman's talks. The only bad thing is he uses Griffith's instead of Zettili. I was planing on using Zettili, but would Griffith's be better with excellently explained videos? I had emailed Brant directly, and he responded. However, he did not seem to want to share his problem set assignments. Any one have selections of the more important problems in Griffith's?

Thanks,
Chris Maness

1. What is QM Textbook Recommendation?

QM Textbook Recommendation is a tool used to suggest textbooks for students studying quantum mechanics. It takes into account factors such as level of difficulty, topic coverage, and student reviews to provide personalized recommendations.

2. How accurate are the recommendations from QM Textbook Recommendation?

The accuracy of QM Textbook Recommendation depends on the quality and relevancy of the data provided by the user. The more detailed and accurate the information, the more precise the recommendations will be.

3. Can I trust the reviews used by QM Textbook Recommendation?

The reviews used by QM Textbook Recommendation are sourced from reputable websites and are constantly updated. However, it is always recommended to do additional research and read multiple reviews before making a decision.

4. Can I customize the recommendations provided by QM Textbook Recommendation?

Yes, QM Textbook Recommendation allows users to customize their preferences and filter the recommendations according to their specific needs. Users can also add their own textbooks to the database for more accurate suggestions in the future.

5. Is QM Textbook Recommendation free to use?

Yes, QM Textbook Recommendation is completely free to use. There are no hidden fees or subscription costs. However, some of the recommended textbooks may require a purchase or rental.